lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-24-2023, 11:45 AM   #1
yler4cy
Gone Wild

Default Golf Cart Steering: Cart is unsteady when turning

Hello BGW!
I helped a friend build an electric EZGO golf cart. They put a 6" lift with bigger tires on it. His wife got ahold of me and said that she feels as if the cart is going to topple over when you turn one way or the other. I do have some wheel spacers that I bought for another cart that I am going to throw on it, but is there any other suggestions that all of you would have?

TIA for any assistance you can provide.
yler4cy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-24-2023, 11:51 AM   #2
Lochlin
Gone Wild

Default Re: Golf Cart Steering: Cart is unsteady when turning

Did you realign the cart after the lift? Adding a lift will alter the alignment.

Of course adding a lift will, by the laws of physics, create instability. Adding height to anything will make is less stable. Spacers will help a some but don't expect the thing to be as stable as it was when not lifted.
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 09:07 PM   #3
zwgolfcart
Not Yet Wild

i think you have an alignment issue the cart has a smaller turning radius
zwgolfcart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 07:58 AM   #4
augiedoggy
Gone Wild

When I first lifted my latest cart the thing was downright scary to drive until I got the alignment (toe adjustment specifically ) adjusted so both front wheels were parallel when the cart had someone in it. they were slightly pointed inward towards each other which will not only wear the tires fast but can cause the front to be very unsteady and shakey and the tires are fighting each other and the ground.
Spacers would be great for making a cart feel more steady even after this is corrected but keep in mind they will cause a lot more stress and wear on things like your wheel bearings and kingpin bushings. They do a number on these things in lifted 4x4 trucks too... Ask me how I know.

Bigger tires and 6inch lift will also have a pretty negative effect on the carts power and range. make sure they are aware of this.. The bigger tires change the gear ratio in the rear end to effectively taller gears so more load on the motor to move the cart like a 10 speed bike shifted to a gear thats harder to pedal. I think with 22" tires you lose something like 33% but someone like ScottyB would know the exact percentages better than me. On the flip side it will go faster on flat ground with less people in it (which can make it feel more scary too). This is why so many end up with bigger controllers and or motors with lifted electric carts some even go as far as to change the gear in the rear end to compensate.
augiedoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO