lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-25-2023, 10:00 PM   #1
KevinRB
Not Yet Wild
Cushman

Default Voltage issue.

1988 Gas Marathon
Bench testing my voltage regulator with a multi meter and the black lead in the center and red lead on the input side I get 46.6 ohms. On the output side I get 1.0 ohms. I also get continuity across all 3 terminals. Is this correct? Also I jumped the key switch wires because I don't have a key and when I do that I get 12 volts, however when I put in forward or reverse and push the pedal it drops to 3.3 volts. I also get 3.3 volts at the starter/generator. I'm new to this type of cart. I appreciate any info.
Thanks
KevinRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-26-2023, 10:12 AM   #2
Dabble Inn
Nincompoop Club Member

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Voltage issue.

My first thoughts are one of the micro switches, solenoid or a bad connection in the starting circuit. For an initial test I would take a jumper wire from the battery pos to the little pos terminal on the solenoid, that will by-pass the starting circuit so it should crank over and run. Then remove the jumper and poke the meter on each terminal of the circuit with the pedal pushed, micro switches/solenoid/fuse till you find the bad spot
Dabble Inn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 05:51 AM   #3
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

You don't really say what is wrong with the cart, but it looks like you believe that there is a charging issue.

The way to test the voltage regulator is in the cart with the engine running.

You also didn't say where the meter probes are when you experience the voltage loss.

Put your probes on the battery terminals. You should see a standing voltage of 12.75 volts. Step on the pedal and watch for a voltage drop. You should really only see a 1 volt drop, but if it drops below 9.6 volts the battery is junk. That's a failed load test.
cart around is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 06:56 AM   #4
augiedoggy
Gone Wild

I'd start by acquiring a key. It will remove some guesswork.
augiedoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 08:40 AM   #5
KevinRB
Not Yet Wild
Cushman

Quote:
Originally Posted by cart around View Post
You don't really say what is wrong with the cart, but it looks like you believe that there is a charging issue.

The way to test the voltage regulator is in the cart with the engine running.

You also didn't say where the meter probes are when you experience the voltage loss.

Put your probes on the battery terminals. You should see a standing voltage of 12.75 volts. Step on the pedal and watch for a voltage drop. You should really only see a 1 volt drop, but if it drops below 9.6 volts the battery is junk. That's a failed load test.
Cart around The cart was not running when I got it. I have been trying to make the starter/generator turn over so I can check for spark and compression. Im new to this kind of cart and am checking different components to figure out how to make the engine turn over. As far as my meter probes I put them directly on the battery and with the switch in F/R and push the pedal it drops to 3.3 volts at the battery. Same when I probe at the solenoid and the starter/generator. I appreciate your help.
Thanks.
Old 03-27-2023, 08:44 AM   #6
KevinRB
Not Yet Wild
Cushman

Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedoggy View Post
I'd start by acquiring a key. It will remove some guesswork.
Augiedoggy can a key be ordered for this specific cart or would it be best to just put a new switch in?
Thanks.
Old 03-27-2023, 09:36 AM   #7
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

I replaced my key switch with a toggle switch and never turn it off. The pedal switch and the neutral safety switch are both in series with it. All 3 need to be closed to make the solenoid operate.

Your battery is junk.

This is your wiring diagram. Ignore the part about the HEI mod for now.

https://buggiesgonewild.com/attachme...7&d=1323224205
cart around is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 09:48 AM   #8
augiedoggy
Gone Wild

https://www.ebay.com/itm/18172411070...Bk9SR8b40rjkYQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinRB View Post
Augiedoggy can a key be ordered for this specific cart or would it be best to just put a new switch in?
Thanks.
Old 03-27-2023, 09:50 AM   #9
augiedoggy
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by cart around View Post
I replaced my key switch with a toggle switch and never turn it off. The pedal switch and the neutral safety switch are both in series with it. All 3 need to be closed to make the solenoid operate.
one reason why I wouldnt do that myself..
https://www.facebook.com/reel/594475465867597
Old 03-27-2023, 01:51 PM   #10
Dabble Inn
Nincompoop Club Member

E-Z-GO

Ahh Haha on the video link above......

I too eliminated the key switch and put in a hidden toggle switch, I do turn mine off at night and stuff just for the security...

Wish I would've known the battery itself drops to 3.3v, I assumed it was at it's final location the solenoid or before. The battery is junk as CA said, put a new battery in it and go from there
Dabble Inn is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO