lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!
Big Block Talk! Everything about swapping a big block engine into your cart!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-29-2011, 07:32 PM   #1
Xtreme Cartz
The Fabricator

Default Mangled Stator 18hp Briggs

I bought a cart recently that had a rebuilt 1994 Briggs & Stratton Vangaurd 18hp in it. The cart started and drove up on the trailer fine. I got it home and finished building the exhaust for it. I tried starting it to listen to the exhaust, but the engine would rev up very high and idle irratically and it would only run for a second before it died. The engine then became very difficult to turn over and locked up. I had a feeling it threw a rod. Today I pulled the motor out of the cart and while looking at it I noticed a wire and chunks sticking out behind the front cover. Then I saw more copper wires sticking out of various nooks of the engine. I took the cover and flywheel off to find the stator somehow was shreaded and a big mangled chunk of it had locked the flywheel up. I am relieved to find out the engine is fine internally. The only problem is 2 of the aluminum stator mounts in the engine block are broken.
Any idea how to repair these broken mounts? Does the stator have to be positioned exactly or is there some tolerance with it in and out? Luckily some material on the broken mounts is still left. I am thinking about machining the two broken mounts so they are smooth and retapping the holes. Then cut a spacer to match the depth of the orginal mounts.

Which stator part # do I need? Thanks!

Xtreme Cartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-29-2011, 08:42 PM   #2
Flintrock
Raised by coyotes

Yamaha

Default Re: Mangled Stator 18hp Briggs

JB Weld? Matt, do you have an engine number off the motor for the stator P/N?
Flintrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 08:52 PM   #3
crash12888
Gone Crazy

You are on the right track with your Idea, I would also flatten the two areas and rethread and use spacers.
There are no locating sleaves so the two and a half tabs you have left should provide enough locating capibilities to keep you out of the flywheel.
After you get it straight, locate the flywheel and spin it, if it is free, remove one screw at a time and loctite it down tight.
Piece o cake!!

Here ya go.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Briggs-Stratton-...item4aaa191ae8
crash12888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 10:02 PM   #4
Xtreme Cartz
The Fabricator

Thanks for the help! I'm glad it wont be too bad to fix. I have the engine #'s written down at the shop, but that's the right stator for it crash?
Old 04-30-2011, 06:46 AM   #5
Flintrock
Raised by coyotes

Yamaha

I know there are different units for different amp outputs. Your connection plug, or full model number will tell you what you have. and what is on those magnets????
Old 04-30-2011, 07:21 AM   #6
crash12888
Gone Crazy

They will physically fit. The charging amps will be a variable but not by much. The difference is the plug, single plug is for charging only and the dual plug is a split stator for charging and running small draw accessories like lights.
General guide is the stators from units with magnetic clutches like on bigger mowers will have the higher charging amp stator.
Also make sure the inline diode is not blown or it will backfeed through the stator and drain the battery.
Check your numbers to get the correct replacement.
crash12888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 09:10 AM   #7
Flintrock
Raised by coyotes

Yamaha

Matt, looks like you have two yellow wires from connector to the regulator and a red wire coming out to the battery. If you had two black wires from the stator then you have a 10 or 16 amp charging stator. The part number will be 696458. You can tell if it's 10 or 16 amp by the magnet size, and from the pic it looks like you have the large magnets (16 amp). The small magnets are 7/8" x 11/16", the large magnets are 1 1/16" x 15/16".
Old 04-30-2011, 10:13 AM   #8
Xtreme Cartz
The Fabricator

I got the engine #'s.

Model
Type
0064-01
Code

A lawn mower repair place gave me a part # 696459 for the stator. The magnets on the flywheel measure 7/8" x 15/16". I cleaned the debris off and 2 of the magnets are chipped but the rest are ok. Do I need a new flywheel as well?
Old 04-30-2011, 10:31 AM   #9
Flintrock
Raised by coyotes

Yamaha

That part number is for a dual circuit alternator. What color wires were on the stator?
and I wouldn't worry about the flywheel.
Old 04-30-2011, 11:23 AM   #10
Xtreme Cartz
The Fabricator

Ok thats good about the flywheel! The stator had two black wires.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!