lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-12-2023, 01:17 PM   #1
Wideopen38
Not Yet Wild

Default Robin engine

I have a 1996 txt gas exgo with a robin motor in it. I want to stay with the robin engine it's the 295. I want to go with a bigger motor with more hp. I'm looking for a motor that has been built and tested.I need to have the carburetor that was tested with the motor. I have heard to many people who have gotten a motor put their stuff on it and have all kinds of fuel and electric problems then it's a fight to get it figured out. Can someone point me in the right direction please thanks for any information.
Wideopen38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-12-2023, 01:48 PM   #2
augiedoggy
Gone Wild

Default Re: Robin engine

Just a heads up a "bigger" robin engine will no longer be a 295.. Thats the displacement in cc I believe.
augiedoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2023, 02:08 PM   #3
JPonLKN
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Yeah, the 295 is the CC of the engine. The corresponding larger engine is a 350. Was used in large workhorses and ST models. 1996 makes it a Pre-MCI engine. Most all peripheral parts between the Pre-MCI 295 and 350 are interchangeable. MCI components are not interchangeable. These engines are 9hp and 11hp respectively, so "building" them is limited as gains, even at 50% would only make for a 14.5 hp engine. The electronic ignitors appear to have variable timing built in, so you need the stock version to make these engines run well. You can use a "MCI" coil for a hotter spark. You can find a 350 engine, use your 295 head to increase compression, and therefor HP. The carbs are interchangeable from a mounting standpoint, but my understanding is that they have different throat size and likely different jet sizes. There was a guy who ported and polished the head, added a small supercharger. You can look up "fast fred" to read up on it. Beyond that, "building" them is pretty limited.

In truth, the best you can do is replace with a 350 for reliable long life engine with a bit more horse power. If you want a hot rod, you need to look at big block swaps and adding a single cylinder 460 or twin 670, or any of the similar variations available to get real gains in performance.
JPonLKN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2023, 03:35 PM   #4
Wideopen38
Not Yet Wild

What about the 375 engine the guy sells on ebay? Does anyone know anything about them? Will you notice much difference between the 295 and 350?
Old 03-12-2023, 06:10 PM   #5
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

What are your goals? Torque? Climbing? Speed?

I’ve had all 3… 295, 350, and 420cc clone swapped ezgo’s. When it comes to power there is a difference between the 295 and 350, but it’s not a “wow” difference. Does have a bit more power up hills. The 350 compared to the clone, 420 is a significant increase in performance though. My 420 swapped txt would go through stuff and climb stuff the 350’s would struggle with.

It really all depends on what you’re trying to accomplish performance-wise.

If you plan to stick with a robin, IMO you’d gain more from a HD belt and a 28 degree driven clutch than swapping to a 350 (as long as your drive clutch is still in good shape).
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2023, 09:31 AM   #6
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wideopen38 View Post
What about the 375 engine the guy sells on ebay? Does anyone know anything about them? Will you notice much difference between the 295 and 350?
Maybe this will help. Some questions asked a few years ago about this.

https://buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=140397
trig123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2023, 09:17 AM   #7
Wideopen38
Not Yet Wild

Thanks good reading.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO