lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-21-2023, 06:22 PM   #1
nickdalzell1
Resident Curmudgeon

Default It's Mystery Time again! G11 engine swap woes

Got another clunker in today, first rabbit hole of time sink for the season!

1995/96 Yamaha G11 "Yamahauler" (utility box car) with blown/spun bearing engine. The engine looks identical to the G9, so I figured just put a G9 in and everything will be ok, right?

WRONG!

Oh everything plugged and bolted in properly just fine. But all it does is pop out the carb and won't start. It 'hits' and backfires if you push the pedal down, but that's it. I got fire, and I can't find anything up with the wiring. I assumed the engines are identical? Everything bolted up the same? I've tried different carbs, different ignitors, even different spark plugs and coils. Same results. Pops and that's it. I'm guessing the engine has to come back out again (which sucks since it was hard enough on my back the first time) because obviously there's a possible difference between a G9 engine and G11 engine, even though with them side by side they look exactly the same (only difference was the airbox is like a G14)

I don't suppose different 'eras' of G9's had different flywheels? I don't think Yamaha had a CW and CCW engine like Club Car? I've successfully put G2/G9 engines in G14 (and reverse) without issue, and with the only 'mod' being changing the round connector to the square for the pulsar coil, but maybe G11 has something else unique about it? This is the first G11 (and first "yamahauler") I've ever seen.
nickdalzell1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-21-2023, 06:42 PM   #2
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Re: It's Mystery Time again! G11 engine swap woes

Maybe a silly question and of no help at all, but are you sure the engine is spinning the correct direction?

Are you sure the donor engine is good? Have you checked valve lash and made sure one of the push rods didn’t fall out? Spitting out the carb is usually either a timing or a valve issue (assuming the starter is spinning the right way).

What’s your conpression look like?
CP241 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 06:56 PM   #3
nickdalzell1
Resident Curmudgeon

Compression is 180 (harbor freight gauge)

I check the valves on everything especially rebuilts (since they have come with a pushrod not connected!). But it's a rebuilt engine, we've had it on the shelf since 2016 according to the shipping label. It already had a flywheel and pulsar coil installed, but with a round plug vs. square, which I've spliced before no issue.

The gas tank in the car was toast. It had some attempt at a dremel on the top (it looks like one in a Yamaha G1) and of course the gas was full of water. I had drained it three times and replaced with fresh fuel, fuel pump works. But it just pops and sputters. It can sort of idle, with throttle closed, but if you give it anymore, it just hits and pops and backfires out the carb.

It's definitely turning correctly. I think Yamahas only had one direction, but it's not going backwards, I am 100% certain on that. Looking at it from the driver's side (where the clutches are) it's turning CCW. Each time I try running it, I pull the plug and it's coated with fuel so I assumed carb problem, fuel issue. But I've more than ruled that one out, so I'm back to ignition.

Tried many ignitors and coils, no change. So either something is different between the G11 engine (or the flywheel and pulsar coil it used) vs. the G9 engine or something else is wonky.

Last year, we had a similar issue with a club car Carry-all. I put a counter clockwise engine into a clockwise car, and figured it'd work so long as the flywheel from the other engine was used. but I realized a few days of aggravation later you cannot use a counterclockwise flywheel on a clockwise engine. But Yamaha never had a clockwise engine, did they? Even when the blown engine was in this thing it was going counter-clockwise. Just hung up when it got to the 'spun bearing part' with audible squeaks. It'd start though, one out of ten tries, but had no power and would overheat.
Old 03-21-2023, 07:22 PM   #4
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Correct. As far as I’m aware Yamaha never had a clockwise motor.

Do know the ignition parts are different though. I couldn’t tell you exactly what but I know they’re different.

G2 and G9 are very different as well. G8 is yet another animal. And they all use basically the same engine…

Edit attached pics
CP241 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 07:34 PM   #5
nickdalzell1
Resident Curmudgeon

I've only dealt with different ignitors but never had issues swapping engines until today. I've swapped G14's for G9's and vice versa no issue ever. I've only had to change the plug for the pulsar coil at best.

I'm just gonna remove the freaking thing and try the pulsar and flywheel from the G11 engine for kicks, given I'm out of ideas and see what happens.
Old 03-22-2023, 08:44 AM   #6
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Might read the "sticky" in this section about swapping engines.
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2023, 02:14 PM   #7
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Sorry, I should been more helpful. You will need these parts off the original G11 engine. Pulsar coil and rotor, and the ignition coil. Good luck on your build
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2023, 02:39 PM   #8
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallblock450sl View Post
Sorry, I should been more helpful. You will need these parts off the original G11 engine. Pulsar coil and rotor, and the ignition coil. Good luck on your build
I was hoping you would pipe in with the solution.
raydhd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2023, 08:37 PM   #9
nickdalzell1
Resident Curmudgeon

That's what it took. It runs fine now. I still don't know the difference (the pulsars both looked identical only the connector is square instead of round) and I couldn't from the outset tell the differences between the flywheels but whatever is the case it works.

Why this wasn't an issue when putting a G2-G9 engine into a G14 (or vice versa) is beyond me. For that, I only had to splice the correct connector to the pulsar coil pigtail and all was good.

I still don't get the reason behind this though. The engines both looked dead on identical and internally I doubt there's any difference enough that using the G9 flywheel and pulsar coil would make it backfire and nothing else...I mean honestly the only visible difference on the car is the airbox and fuel tank.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha