lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-13-2015, 05:37 PM   #1
Helirich
Gone Wild

Default Marithon jerking

My Marithon was giving indications of dead batteries. (They are 7 years old) but I got a new cart project with new batteries. So it only has to last a few more weeks.

So I was using it and it started jumping. Like turning on and off a couple times a second. It would jerk so hard, I thought it might hurt something. I towed it back to the shop. I found the rear right battery and the controller mount had tilted down. The bottom was all rusted out. I had fixed some rust years back, but this area was not bad. Now it is.

Anyways I figured the throttle rod was not working proper because the whole controller was moving. I took it all apart and rebuilt the battery suports and mounted the controller good.

Got it all back together and went to back out of the shop and it started going, but wouldn't stop when I let off the pedal. (The pedal came back up) So I switched it from reverse to forward. It stopped. Then when I pushed the pedal, it started jerking again. I also detected some smoke.

I'm thinking of pulling the motor unless you guys point me somewhere else. This sucks because I want to work on my new cart. But I have to have a working cart for my wife before I tare into the new one.
Helirich is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-14-2015, 09:36 AM   #2
Helirich
Gone Wild

Default Re: Marithon jerking

Ok, today I jacked up the cart and turned on the key. There was immediately some popping sound and some smoke. The smoke came from the bottom of the controller. I looked underneath and taped on the bottom of the controller. The cap came off and smoke came out.

I didn't realize that there was a cap on them. I thought it was all solid state. (Full of epoxie) In any case, would I be correct to assume it's shot? I mean, nobody works on them, do they? It's just a standard controller. So can't be worth much.

I might pull it apart and take some pics. But I'll wait a couple days and see if someone tells me to spry some bleach in there to fix it. LOL
Old 09-14-2015, 10:00 AM   #3
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helirich View Post
Ok, today I jacked up the cart and turned on the key. There was immediately some popping sound and some smoke. The smoke came from the bottom of the controller. I looked underneath and taped on the bottom of the controller. The cap came off and smoke came out.

I didn't realize that there was a cap on them. I thought it was all solid state. (Full of epoxie) In any case, would I be correct to assume it's shot? I mean, nobody works on them, do they? It's just a standard controller. So can't be worth much.

I might pull it apart and take some pics. But I'll wait a couple days and see if someone tells me to spry some bleach in there to fix it. LOL
Controllers run on smoke and they stop working when the smoke leaks out.

FSIP (one of the BGW site sponsors) might be able to re-manufacture it. http://www.fsip.biz/GolfCarts.html

FWIW: Solid state means it uses transistors rather than vacuum tubes. Some, but not all controllers are filled with a potting compound to make them water resistant.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 07:18 PM   #4
Helirich
Gone Wild

OK, so I removed the controller to send for rebuild to fsip. When I removed it I wrecked a little electrical thingy. It's about the size of a nickel with two small wires that bridged two of the terminals. Is this important? If it is, what is it called? I need to order it cause I broke off one wire right next to the plastic nickel.
Old 09-16-2015, 11:55 PM   #5
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Its a MOV. Not super important.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 09:30 AM   #6
Helirich
Gone Wild

I found one for about 20$. I'll get that ordered. What does it do?
Old 09-17-2015, 09:47 AM   #7
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helirich View Post
I found one for about 20$. I'll get that ordered. What does it do?
That is an outrageous price for a MOV (metal-oxide varistor). Less that $5 is about what they cost at electronic parts stores.

They are surge protectors.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 02:25 PM   #8
Helirich
Gone Wild

Ok, so I got the controller rebuilt by FSIP. I'm putting it back in and I at the part of plugging the three spade connectors on. I marked two of them with tape. One has a one on it and the other has a two on it. I guess the other is three. This was several weeks ago and of course, I don't know what I was thinking. I don't remember if the one starts at the front or back. I would think I would make the one at the front, but it would appear that they would route better starting at the back.

The leed with the one on it is separate. The two and three come out of the same wire sheeve. Does anyone know if the separate wire is at the front or back of the controller?
Old 10-08-2015, 04:02 PM   #9
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Does this help?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf FSIP 1989-1993 EZGo.pdf (14.2 KB, 0 views)
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 05:04 PM   #10
Helirich
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
Does this help?
Yes, thank you very much!!!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO