lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-28-2015, 02:53 PM   #1
G-Daddy
Not Yet Wild

Default EZGO doesn't go

I have a 2004 PDS cart that is stock. The only thing I have done to it is add one of Andy's mode switches and that was done about 6 or 7 years ago. It has new Trojan 105's. The problem is that many times when "giving it gas" the solenoid will click and the cart does not move. Sometimes just letting off the pedal and pushing down again does the trick but many times I have to turn the key off and sometimes I flip the direction control switch into neutral and back into forward to get the cart to move. It stopped like that about five times last evening when I had my granddaughter out about a mile and a half from the house to get tree leaves for a school project. Suggestions?
G-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-28-2015, 03:30 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: EZGO doesn't go

Intermittent problems are the hardest to find. You will have to take a volt meter with you and test the cart when it is not working to see where the failure is. This is the stock controller then?
If yes remove the cover secure the run tow switch to something so you can drive. Take the meter and the diagram with you until the opportunity comes to find where there is no power on one of the red lines in the diagram below.

If the solenoid clicks we can eliminate everything between the battery and the solenoid but not the solenoid... I would remove the resistor (if one exists) so it's easy to see if power is getting from one big terminal to the other when the solenoid clicks and the cart won't go.

I have seen a Curtis controller fail this way.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 08:28 AM   #3
G-Daddy
Not Yet Wild

I did not find the diagram you refer to. And the problem continues. A little more on the symptoms. The solenoid clicks every time the throttle is depressed. Sometimes it just runs as normal. Sometimes there is nothing but the click. Sometimes there will be a jerk like the cart wants to go, but then nothing. Sometimes it will go real slow and the cart will stop after just a few feet at a real slow speed. So far I can get to to run if I cycle the key on and off a few times - sometimes also putting the control rocker switch into the neutral position.
Old 10-13-2015, 08:37 AM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Years ago I was called out to look at a cart that operated as you describe. The owner told me it was happening more and more frequently.
As it turned out the controller was failing. We replaced it and the cart has run fine since.
When ever you cut the power off and on the control boots back up and in some cases this can correct the problem. Both the F&R and the RUN/TOW switch turn the control off and on.
Old 10-13-2015, 08:44 AM   #5
G-Daddy
Not Yet Wild

I kind of figured it to be the controller. Is it as simple as buying a new controller and installing the new one in the cart? Should it be upgraded to prevent this from happening again? I use the cart as a hunting cart and my wife uses it for gardening.
Old 10-13-2015, 08:47 AM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Daddy View Post
I kind of figured it to be the controller. Is it as simple as buying a new controller and installing the new one in the cart? Should it be upgraded to prevent this from happening again? I use the cart as a hunting cart and my wife uses it for gardening.
Absolutely. The stock control is designed for the rigors of golf, which is a 300 yard drive down the fairway and rest. Look at our #808 pkg. THe 400 Alltrax and HD Solenoid will increase torque and speed in this cart. Best upgrade you can buy and for less than the cost of a stock replacement. The made in the USA controller comes with a 2 year warranty.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO