lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-13-2015, 07:50 PM   #1
scott186
Not Yet Wild

Default 98 EZ GO TXT Charging Wire Guage

I burnt the wire going from the charger plug to the batteries on my EZ GO this weekend by being careless. I just purchased this cart not running for a good price. Figured out it was the reed switch at the charger plug was bad. The cart needed a good cleaning so I am doing complete tear down to the frame so I can replace all the rusted screws and paint the frame with POR 15. I had temporary reconnect the batteries wires to move the cart around for pressure washing. After moving the cart back to my covered area I went to take the back cover back off and did not disconnect the battery cables and the charger connection must have touched and cause a huge flume of smoke and then the charger wires and cable sleeve caught fire. Lucky that is all that burnt up. I was worried I might have fried my controller but I hooked it back up and everything works fine.

I believe the white and black wire are 10 gauge wire or maybe 8 gauge. 10 gauge is only rated for 15 amps so not sure. Cannot by the wire as a separate piece from the charging connection so will have to make new ones.

Want to make sure I get the write gauge wire for this.
scott186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-14-2015, 01:09 AM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: 98 EZ GO TXT Charging Wire Guage

Im guessing the fuse in the charge circuit was gone, just a guess... It was 10ga before. 8ga wouldnt hurt, your new charge port should have the wires on it (white to B+), dont forget the fuse and it wont happen again.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 06:08 AM   #3
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Wires are 10ga I believe and 10 is good for 30 amps.
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 08:10 PM   #4
scott186
Not Yet Wild

Replaced with 8 gauge wire and got my batteries charging again. Will be installing an inline fuse when reinstall them in the cart after I get the frame painted.
scott186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO