lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-13-2015, 09:47 PM   #1
Jamesggolden
Not Yet Wild

Default Reversing contactor problems

New member, first post...I burned up two "HD" forward and reverse switches in the past year on my 2003 EZ GO TXT upgraded to 48v with alltrax 500, lift,etc. the golf cart dealer that is the only local one that I don't have a lot of faith in now replaced the switch with the reversing contactor at my suggestion after reading this forum. They used the White Rodgers model 586 solenoids for this. It works well, BUT, I still have the burning smell coming from the solenoid now and the 4g cables are scalding hot when the cart is used in the woods. Does anyone have a proper diagram for the W/R dual solenoids so I can check the wiring. Or is it even possible that is is running if they did not wire properly. Something is not right, and I don't really want to take back to them because quite frankly, I don't think they know what they are doing(they said this was the first time they have installed the double solenoid set up. Any info/advice would be greatly appreciated before something else burns up.
Jamesggolden is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-14-2015, 12:57 AM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: Reversing contactor problems

Does the cart seem to have "normal power" when driving after the swap? Did the cart have "overdrive" (field shunting) setup. Its an extra solenoid hooked to the motor (for a total of 6 wires at the motor, 2 extras at the "F" terminals of tbe motor)?
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 06:25 AM   #3
Jamesggolden
Not Yet Wild

It has normal power, no over drive that I am aware of. I will look at the number of wires going to motor and post it. It still has the main solenoid that was on the cart which is heavy duty. The wires to it and the solenoid itsself stay normal temp.
Old 10-14-2015, 08:45 AM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Likely it's cabled correctly or it wouldn't run. Trust me on this, my customers have emailed me with every possible mis-wiring combination for my reversing contactor kits I sell in 200 and 400 amp sizes.
More likely the heat problem stem from undersized components. You state 500a controller.
The 586 WR solenoids are possibly 200a rated and the 4g cable is undersized for the 500a control in my experience.
Read the labels on ALL the solenoids to verify amperage capacity of each and reply.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 09:20 AM   #5
Jamesggolden
Not Yet Wild

The controller is alltrax 4855. The main solenoid is hidden behind controller but says 200 amp. The white Rodgers are 200 amp/600 amp inrush(both of them). The shop that put them on said that was a heavy duty as they come. The main solenoid and all cables going to it stay barely warm which seems good. They sprayed a red substance on each connection as well when they hooked them up.
Old 10-14-2015, 10:35 AM   #6
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Ok....when you say "It works well, BUT, I still have the burning smell coming from the solenoid now and the 4g cables are scalding hot when the cart is used in the woods." do you mean the 4g cables that are going exclusively to the solenoid are scalding hot? Or...are there other heavy duty wires that are scalding hot? And....(maybe you can't tell because your solenoid is hidden as you stated) is your solenoid scalding hot as well?

If it's just your wires to your solenoid that are hot, then I would think your solenoid is woefully undersized and needs upgraded. Likely the wires that go to it need replaced as well. Make no mistake, if you smell burning wiring, you have a big problem. (Ask me how I know this. )

But.....before you jump and buy a new solenoid, please provide a few answers first.
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 12:05 PM   #7
Jamesggolden
Not Yet Wild

DaveTM and scottyb, to answer the questions, just the cables that are associated with the two new white Rodgers solenoids are hot, all other cables are just warm and seem normal. The main solenoid behind the controller was on there when the reversing contactor upgrade was done, it seems fine, not hot nor are the cables that go to it. The hottest of the cables I am referring to are the short Cables( like 4 inches or so) that connect the two new solenoids to each other. Is the WR 586 200 amp/600 in rush not big enough for this? I don't see any bigger options. Let me know if this helps....
Old 10-14-2015, 01:23 PM   #8
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

You just answered the question I was going to ask about the short cables, but for reference....

Unlike the Albright SW202 type reverse contactor assemblies that come with copper buss bars, when using 2-WR586 to make a reverse contactor assembly, You need to fabricate 4 small jumper cables.

I would make sure those cables are the same gauge and that the ends are properly terminated.

When wiring the WR586 in the traditional way (only 1 solenoid active at the time), the maximum continuous thermal current carrying capacity rating (that is a mouth full) is only 100 amps.

I suggested in this post a way to wire it so You still have 100 amps maximum in reverse, but raise the continuous limit in Forward to 200 amps.

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...ml#post1169533

A few post above mine there are examples of the traditional wiring.

Either way that You wire it, make sure it is tuned for maximum performance when in Forward direction.

Using the traditional wiring of only 1 solenoid on at the time:
Feel which solenoid is ON when in Forward.

Make sure The longer cable is on the big post on the same side as the coil terminals (Normally Open contacts).
The short jumper cable should be on top of that long cable.

On the solenoid that is not activated, the longer cable should be on the big post on the side opposite of the coil terminals (Normally Closed contacts)
The short jumper cable should be on top of that long cable.
On my alternative wiring, both long cables go on the big posts on the coil side (Normally Open terminals) of each solenoid.

That maximizes the current path in forward by eliminating 2 of the short jumpers.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 01:25 PM   #9
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Your problem may be the cables themselves. Wondering if they used welding wire or regular automotive cables.
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 01:45 PM   #10
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Yeah.....what Sergio said. With ScottyB's reversing contactor's instead of heavy duty wires between the two contactors, there are BIG HEAVY DUTY BUSS BARS that handle the load.

So, if you have HD wirings, and they are hot....then they need to be replaced with wire's that can handle the load. And, as Sergio said,....I think he said.....your cable ends need to be attached properly. Crimped and soldered would be the best way. Frankly, I would go with 2ga. welding cable.
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO