lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-25-2015, 06:55 PM   #1
bohartjr
Not Yet Wild

Default 2006 EZGO TXT PDS- Questions

Hey Guys. I just purchased a 2006 EzGo TXT with PDS. I got the cart at decent cost but they are some immediate upgrades that I need some help with...

1. The cart has 3 new 12 volt EverStart batteries. Is this setup ok? I am thinking I will need to revert back to the six 6-volt setup? I am concerned about how quickly the batteries will drain under the current setup.

2. I know I want to get the cart lifted. Is this a DIY fix or will I need to hire it out? Just curious how many here have done it.

3. The cart really will slow itself down on declines. I know that electric carts don't have a governor but I have read about a freedom chip. Is that something I should look at?

Thanks and Merry Christmas.
bohartjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-25-2015, 07:16 PM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: 2006 EZGO TXT PDS- Questions

1- Those batteries are not intended for golf cart use, and they could be a risk to the stock controller, due to not holding a proper voltage under full load. Get 6v batteries made for golf cart use, not "starting batteries" for starting an engine.
2- PDS is supposed to maintain a safe speed down a hill. "SePex" carts like yours Do have a "governor". Normal operation. Doubling your top speed by finding a steep hill is not normal operation, and can actually destroy your motor and controller in one shot.
3- Lift kit is a perfect project for a handy DIY guy, if you have a jack, some stands, & some tools.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 07:33 PM   #3
bohartjr
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
1- Those batteries are not intended for golf cart use, and they could be a risk to the stock controller, due to not holding a proper voltage under full load. Get 6v batteries made for golf cart use, not "starting batteries" for starting an engine.
2- PDS is supposed to maintain a safe speed down a hill. "SePex" carts like yours Do have a "governor". Normal operation. Doubling your top speed by finding a steep hill is not normal operation, and can actually destroy your motor and controller in one shot.
3- Lift kit is a perfect project for a handy DIY guy, if you have a jack, some stands, & some tools.
Thanks. I am not wanting to increase top end speeds. Those are fine...I am more concerned with speed up hills. I am thinking it must be related to the incorrect battery setup?

We had 3 adults and a child out today in the neighborhood and the cart really struggled up hills on a full charge.

I appreciate your advice.
bohartjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 08:07 PM   #4
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Speed up hills is heavily limited by the load you are putting on the stock controller. To see just how bad your current battery situation is, Get out your meter and monitor the pack voltage while going up a hill (post results). The target is for the battery voltage to stay above 31.5v when you are travelling up the hill (not accelerating from a stop on that hill). Oh yeah, the "freedom chip" does not increase torque at all, only top speed & "regen braking".
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO