lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-10-2016, 04:15 PM   #21
Clemsoncartguy
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1993 Marathon EZGO runs slow to creep

Yea your batteries are gone. 7 to 8 on flat is too SLOW. And unless it's a pretty steep like moutain drive that's slow on uphill
Clemsoncartguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-10-2016, 04:23 PM   #22
Hoobiedoobie
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Ha! I knew it! No, not a mountain incline but not long. I did contact FSIP since that is the controller we have. They will replace with 400 amp for $35.00. Rebuilt, but I guess that's ok for starters. They have not given me a price on the solenoid, suppose to be emailing me that. The batteries will be painful I'm sure!! :( Someone on the forum said to check craigslist for a charger. We have a friend who works for an auto parts store so maybe I can look at chargers there too. I will also ask Scotty for prices. Thank you for the help. Keep the info coming please!!
Hoobiedoobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 05:57 PM   #23
Clemsoncartguy
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

An auto store place probably won't get a good deal. Nothing automotive is 48v so they won't get a bulk discount or anything.

Just to put into perspective. I just got a 1996 txt its batteries were so low the charger would not kick on so I charged them 2 in a series with a 12v charger to get enough volts for the cart charger to take over. Charger kicked off today. Now I'm not sure how long they rested but not long enough to be a accurate but they said 80% charge based on the voltage. I rode it 3 miles in our realitively flat town. They dropped to 65% charge on the trip. On flat ground I had no problem keeping 14mph. Down slight hills I hit 18 on the slight uphill I slowed to like 11/12mph.

These batteries are basically end of life but suitable for close short trips. This ought to show you how bad yours are.

What's the voltage on the main + and - post? I bet it's like 35ish
Old 05-10-2016, 08:39 PM   #24
Hoobiedoobie
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Hubby will be testing them tomorrow with meter. Farm work took its toll today! I guess I knew it all along. Just wishful hoping.... :-/
Old 05-10-2016, 09:33 PM   #25
Clemsoncartguy
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Hope yall bought it planning on replacing batteries!
Old 05-10-2016, 10:00 PM   #26
Helirich
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoobiedoobie View Post
I did contact FSIP since that is the controller we have. They will replace with 400 amp for $35.00. Rebuilt, but I guess that's ok for starters.
I believe that is a Curtis controller rebuilt by FSIP. In any case, That is a very good price. But I assume it still will only be good for 36 volts. A heavy duty solinoid will run less than a $100.

If you upgrade to 48 volts and new batteries, (and charger) Im sure you will be more than happy. But if you just up grade your 36 volt controller and get new batteries, you might be satisfied for allot less money. In fact, if you just get new batteries, you might be happy.

On the battery thing. If you are going to buy new batteries, its good to have all of them be the same age. Thats why people are telling you not to get new ones untill you decide what you are going to do. While this is good advice, it doesnt mean that they must be exactly the same age. If you buy six new batteries and try it and like it, fine. If you still feel like it is not up to the job, you can buy two more in the next month and you will be fine.

Just dont buy six and wait six months and then up grade. Even then, it will work, but you wont get as good a battery life. (The batteries are the most expensive thing)

I have a cart just like yours and it served me well for ten years. (I still have it) I recently built a 48V hotrod and its alot of fun. But the old Marithon is still a good cart.
Helirich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 11:23 AM   #27
Hoobiedoobie
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

We actually figured the batteries were on their way out. I so appreciate all the information! Now it's just a matter of spending wisely in order to afford everything I need!!
Old 05-12-2016, 08:08 PM   #28
Hoobiedoobie
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Update. I spoke with a tech at FSIP. The upgrade for the Motor Controller for $35.00 is actually still only for 36v. He said that if I upgrade the batteries to 48v, I will need new controller, new solenoid, new #4 wiring, and new motor. :( No way I can afford all of that. He said that upgrading my current motor controller would give me a "slight" boost in torque and power, not speed tho.
So, now what are your thoughts? I have to have batteries, that is crystal clear. I guess I just get the 36v and hope that helps?? Dang.
Old 05-12-2016, 08:45 PM   #29
Helirich
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helirich View Post
But I assume it still will only be good for 36 volts.

if you just up grade your 36 volt controller and get new batteries, you might be satisfied for allot less money. In fact, if you just get new batteries, you might be happy.
From my earlier post.

If money is an issue, I would upgrade the conrollier and get new batteries. Your current solenoid will probably hold up unless you really got a lead foot. Even then, its not that expensive to upgrade that later.
Helirich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 09:01 PM   #30
Hoobiedoobie
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

You have the same cart, do you have 36 or 48? Money is always an issue! Don't want to spend so much in the cart that it cuts into fun with camping. However, I don't want to spend money then wish I had spent it on upgrades! Since this is the first cart and we are green about them, I do appreciate the advice. :)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO