lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-17-2016, 09:31 AM   #11
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Default Re: Rear Shock Advice

It appears to me that they took the stock coil springs, then cut another section of spring to account for the lift, and welded it onto the stock spring. I would bet if you measured the length of the spring you have, it's longer that a "stock" spring and longer by the piece that is welded on.

Just my $0.02
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-17-2016, 10:06 AM   #12
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

I'm with Dave on this one - that just doesn't look right, LOL ... Also, with most of the support from the springs being contained at the ends with tighter winding, that setup basically reduces the overall support of the springs considerably - likely that's the culprit. Most Marathon lift kits use spring extenders to preserve the intended preload on the springs, where that setup may maintain the lifted ride height it's doing nothing for the ability of the springs to support anything
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 11:26 AM   #13
DaveTM
Gone Wild

So, we gave you an "answer" but not a "solution". I'm not at all familiar with your type of cart.....but I do know that by doing what they did with the spring extension.....that is in no way going to help stiffen your cart's rear suspension. A longer spring with the same amount of coil....well....stiffness is just going to give you the same or more of a "mushy" ride. So, when you put more weight in the back, the ride will get worse because it will sag even more.

The solution would be to purchase a heavy duty coil spring. Then because of the lift, there needs to be some type of spring "extension"....look at it like a steel cup like "deal" that would rest or "go over" the bottom spring holder (the one on the axle) and go up to where the springs are welded together.

The lift kit just raises the cart up. It doesn't give the rear of the cart any additional travel of the rear axle. So, by putting in a HD spring, and a "spacer" that I am speaking of, you will stiffen the rear suspension and still have the same travel distance (up and down) of the rear axle that you have now.

Hopefully someone will chime in on if someone makes an after market spacer or kit for your cart. If not, it would seem to me that a local fab shop could make you one in pretty short order. After all....it's not brain surgery. If it were....we would likely all be dead.

I hope this helps.
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 11:31 AM   #14
Revolution
Voltaholic

Mixed Breed

I would try a set of air shocks. You can get the load capacity when you need it and soft ride when you don't. I use them on my big cart, I air them up for 4 passengers and gear and lower the pressure if its just 1 or 2 on the cart.
Revolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 09:55 AM   #15
jconway1006
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks all.....Yeah I'm not really looking for a "Soft Ride" all the time really. I'm not offroading with this thing. Biggest bump I'd be going over is a speed bump. I'm in a camp ground with thing as well. 10mph speed limit too. I'm putting the rear seat on it for my daughter when we bounce around. She's only 5 now but still big enough that she can't fit in the front with us. I'll have to see what I can come up with.
jconway1006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 05:29 PM   #16
Skoal82
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I have a stock set of rear springs you could have
But you would have to get the 4inch spacer for the lift

Or look at pit stop USA for springs
Instead of the lift spacer on my cart I used longer coil springs
You would have to measure your length needed and the inside diameter needed for the springs.
If I remember right I got 15" long springs at 225 pounds per inch. But I'm not sure and the ones I got were a little on the stiff side
Skoal82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 11:29 AM   #17
misterpowertools
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

http://pitstopusa.com/i-5056449-susp...ng-275-lb.html
misterpowertools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 08:02 AM   #18
jconway1006
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Much appreciated with all the help. I do have to measure but looks like you guys sent me in the right direction.
jconway1006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 09:01 PM   #19
Skoal82
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Bump for JAMO
Skoal82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 01:00 PM   #20
JAMO
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks Skoal82
JAMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO