lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-06-2017, 09:10 AM   #11
chvybeatsford
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: New project... Ideas where to go. Full rebuild.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
1. Yes. The DC Traction motors used in carts can be operated over a wide range of voltages and the voltage rating for a motor is the minimum voltage it should be operated at. With the same mechanical load, a 36V motor operated at 24V will run hotter and not last as long as it would if operated at 36V. The opposite is true if operated at voltages above 36V, as long as the voltage is less than about 75% higher (~64V). Doubling the rated voltage (72V) is okay with some, but not all, 36V motors.

2. A stock PDS motor is a good starting point, and may be all that is needed. Once the rest of the cart is in its final form, the best motor for that specific setup can be determined.

3. 42V is also an option. That voltage won't over-rev a stock PDS motor, or standard speed aftermarket 36V sepex motor. On the other hand, if you install an Alltrax XCT controller, you can RPM limit the motor to the manufacturer's max recommended RPM so 48V won't over-rev it on level ground. For max acceleration and minimum slowing on inclines, go with 48V.

4. A PDS is a good cart for street use.
Thanks. The cart will be 100% street no hills. Flat ground Louisiana.. I was looking at the xct500pds that Scotty b has. With all the options. If I can get a few months out the stock motor id be fine. And fine a better aftermarket one while I ride around. I want as much speed as I can get out the cart with 14" rims average 20" tall tire. At least better than I get out my other cart. (24mph on 72v) . Would love near 30..

Only other issue to solve is 6(8v) or 8(6v). I read alot on weight vs run time. And we don't travel far. At most maybe 10 miles of driving when we do.

I may just go 6(8v) due to ease of installing batteries and room for controller still right under seat.

Or I can go 42 volt .. to many dang choices.

With the xct500 at any point I can go up voltage by the laptop correct.?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
chvybeatsford is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-06-2017, 09:14 AM   #12
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

With the xct500 at any point I can go up voltage by the laptop correct.?

That is correct. You change many operating characteristics with a simple usb cable and PC or laptop.

See the Alltrax program software toolkit manual here > http://www.alltraxinc.com/files/Doc1...kit-Manual.pdf
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 09:54 AM   #13
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

With 20" tall tires, stock (12.44:1) gears in the differential and road tires, you ought to get a bit over 31 MPH with 48V battery pack and a stock PDS motor limited to 6500RPM by the XCT controller.

Since your max trip is only 10 miles, a 48V pack whose storage capacity roughly the same as the stock 36V pack, should suffice. That would be six 8V-170AH batteries. Or you can up the range some with 8V-190AH or 8V-204 (or 205AH) batteries.

Attached is a list of 48V packs made up of various 8V batteries. Not shown is the recently introduced US 8VH ATB from US battery which has 205AH.

The XCT is user programmable for 36V, 42V and 48V, but solenoids tend to be voltage specific. The Super-Duty 48V solenoid (MZJ400) Scotty sells works at 36V, 42V and 48V, so it doesn't have to be updated when you change pack voltages.

Of course, the battery charger has to match the voltage of the battery pack.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 8 Volt Battery AH comparisons.JPG (79.6 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 02:14 PM   #14
chvybeatsford
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
With 20" tall tires, stock (12.44:1) gears in the differential and road tires, you ought to get a bit over 31 MPH with 48V battery pack and a stock PDS motor limited to 6500RPM by the XCT controller.

Since your max trip is only 10 miles, a 48V pack whose storage capacity roughly the same as the stock 36V pack, should suffice. That would be six 8V-170AH batteries. Or you can up the range some with 8V-190AH or 8V-204 (or 205AH) batteries.

Attached is a list of 48V packs made up of various 8V batteries. Not shown is the recently introduced US 8VH ATB from US battery which has 205AH.

The XCT is user programmable for 36V, 42V and 48V, but solenoids tend to be voltage specific. The Super-Duty 48V solenoid (MZJ400) Scotty sells works at 36V, 42V and 48V, so it doesn't have to be updated when you change pack voltages.

Of course, the battery charger has to match the voltage of the battery pack.
Are 8v batteries same size as 6.. I just built a aluminum battery Trey based off my old trey. And thanks for all the help. Any reason not to do the 8 each six volt? Wouldn't that give me more run time. ? Basing that off a post I seen I think you said like 17% increase in run time?

Old 06-07-2017, 06:10 PM   #15
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by chvybeatsford View Post
Are 8v batteries same size as 6.. I just built a aluminum battery Trey based off my old trey. And thanks for all the help. Any reason not to do the 8 each six volt? Wouldn't that give me more run time. ? Basing that off a post I seen I think you said like 17% increase in run time?
Most 6V and 8V cart batteries have the same footprint, so six of either ought to fit in your new tray if it has the same ID as the old tray. However, high current cables cut for 6X6V won't work with 6X8V because both terminals are on the same side of 8V batteries and the 5 interconnecting cables need to be a bit longer.

Eight 6V batteries weigh more and cost more than six 8V batteries, so the acceleration and hill climbing abilities mimic having an extra 120 pound passenger onboard all the time. Also, it is difficult to shoehorn in eight batteries under the seat. Of course, one or two of them can be put in the bagwell.

Attached is a list of 48V battery packs made up from various 6V and 8V batteries. The greater the number of kWh, the greater the range/runtime.

The column at far right is the percent increase over the standard pack.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 48V kWh Comparisons.JPG (105.4 KB, 0 views)
Old 06-07-2017, 06:44 PM   #16
chvybeatsford
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks JohnnieB.. but after some thinking I think I just start of 48v and with 6 8v batteries.. one the main things I didn't think was changing chargers. So .. again thanks. Gonna find some batteries.. are there any good places online to buy batteries.?

Old 06-07-2017, 09:22 PM   #17
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Thanks JohnnieB.. but after some thinking I think I just start of 48v and with 6 8v batteries.. one the main things I didn't think was changing chargers. So .. again thanks. Gonna find some batteries.. are there any good places online to buy batteries.?

www.cartsunlimited.net
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 09:25 PM   #18
chvybeatsford
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBoyce View Post
I devoured that site. That's where bunch of my upgrades are coming from. But no spot on there do I see batteries for sale.

Old 06-08-2017, 08:01 AM   #19
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:

Whatever the battery pack voltage is, go with a DPI Accusense charger for that voltage. http://www.cartsunlimited.net/chargers-36-48v.html

Batteries are heavy, so shipping charges make buying them anyplace except locally unattractive. I special ordered my Exide batteries via a local farm supply. (Rural King)
Old 06-08-2017, 08:04 AM   #20
chvybeatsford
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Whatever the battery pack voltage is, go with a DPI Accusense charger for that voltage. http://www.cartsunlimited.net/chargers-36-48v.html

Batteries are heavy, so shipping charges make buying them anyplace except locally unattractive. I special ordered my Exide batteries via a local farm supply. (Rural King)

Yeap.. Was getting a charger from ScottyB also. My whole build will be from him.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO