lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-17-2017, 07:40 AM   #1
browerjs
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Sound from batteries

I was out of town all week and just got home to my new 2012 TXT. First thing I did was pull out my multimeter and I had a voltage of 51.6. I did notice that there was a slight gurgling sound coming from the batteries. Is this normal? My wife said that it sounded like water boiling when charging so she didn't leave it plugged in all night.

I'm new to all this so I'm just trying to find out what's normal.
browerjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-17-2017, 07:43 AM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Sound from batteries

Batteries form and release gas bubbles from the bottom of the cells under heavy charge. This is not only normal but necessary to keep all the heavy elements in the battery water in the mix. This gas is hydrogen and the cart should be charged in a well ventilated area.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 12:48 PM   #3
ThreeCW
Gone Wild

Cushman

I find that my FLA (flooded lead acid) batteries will continue to "degas" even a day or two after charging. Bubbling and hissing sounds when charging and gurgling sounds after charging are normal as the hydrogen gas vents from the batteries. Hydrogen gas is highly explosive and you need to use caution ... remember the Hindenburg (see: http://www.airships.net/hindenburg/disaster/)

As such, I find that it is a good practice to "unplug the charger first" before disconnecting the charging plug to the cart. Removing any other "source of ignition" (such as a cigarette) should be obvious, but I will say it anyway
ThreeCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 02:21 PM   #4
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

[QUOTE=ThreeCW;1397002]As such, I find that it is a good practice to "unplug the charger first" before disconnecting the charging plug to the cart.QUOTE]

Most folks don't do this, and I suspect you have a good chance of a spark at the 120 volt plug as the charger port.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 11:33 PM   #5
ThreeCW
Gone Wild

Cushman

Quote:
Originally Posted by yurtle View Post
Most folks don't do this, and I suspect you have a good chance of a spark at the 120 volt plug as the charger port.
On my cart, the charger port is about 4 inches from the battery vent ... putting a potential ignition source very close to the venting hydrogen. My 120v plug in is at least 10 feet away which should be well clear of any potential explosive mixture of hydrogen in air.

As Scotty says, "the cart should be charged in a well ventilated area".

An interesting video on exploding hydrogen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOTgeeTB_kA
Old 06-18-2017, 08:36 AM   #6
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

The only thing I would suggest is to make sure the outlet is a more expensive outlet, as cheaper outlets are not expecting to have things unplugged/plugged into them daily. Most outlets see a lamp, TV, computer, laptop, etc. charger plugged in once. Others may see an iron or a vacuum weekly. Mine are HD, on one of two hard-wired Plugmold strips. I'd also use the bolted terminals. I never use the plug-in connection method. I've repaired neighbors' outlets that were worn out and dangerous, as they overheated to the point they were discolored. I've also replaced plug in outlets that had failed, and used bolted terminals.
Old 06-18-2017, 12:57 PM   #7
ThreeCW
Gone Wild

Cushman

yurtle,
Good advise for the heavy duty receptacles. I have used them in our barn were we typically see higher loads. I have also recently replaced our kitchen island receptacle with a commercial version after essentially wearing it out after 13 years of daily use. I will certainly replace the garage receptacle that I use for my cart charger with a commercial grade version too. Thanks!
Regards, 3CW
Old 06-18-2017, 03:38 PM   #8
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

2 prong plug devices usually show problems sooner than 3 prong plugs, as they can wiggle, and if you have to wiggle it to make it work, you'll know it's time to replace. A 3 prong plug can't really wiggle, so you may not have the intermittent problem, but an internal loose connection can still overheat.
Old 06-19-2017, 05:34 PM   #9
gwh1bass
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeCW View Post
yurtle,
Good advise for the heavy duty receptacles. I have used them in our barn were we typically see higher loads. I have also recently replaced our kitchen island receptacle with a commercial version after essentially wearing it out after 13 years of daily use. I will certainly replace the garage receptacle that I use for my cart charger with a commercial grade version too. Thanks!
Regards, 3CW
I agree 100%. Any outlet I replace I use commercial grade and I also wind the wire at the terminal screw as opposed to using the quick insert option.
gwh1bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO