lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-18-2017, 08:18 PM   #1
LBB
Not Yet Wild

Default How much speed reduction from back seat (and riders)

Hi all,

With the help from you great folks I purchased a 2014 TXT late last year. Only mods are it's programmed to go and accelerate as fast as possible. It gets up to 19 on flat roads and no wind. :-)

I've been planning on putting a rear seat on it so the wife and two kids can all ride together.

I'm guessing the seat might weigh 50lbs? Then add 200-400lbs extra for a few people.

Anyone have experience with how much this might slow down a 2014 TXT? (both acceleration and top speed).

Thank you!
LBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-19-2017, 02:22 PM   #2
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: How much speed reduction from back seat (and riders)

Hard to quantify. Too many variables. I can tell you from experience it will be enough to notice. You might still be able to reach your current top speed but will take longer to get there. Will definitely be slower climbing hills. However, from a standing start there will still be enough torque to throw unprepared passengers off the back.
The TXT48 is a good platform and would respond well to a controller change. Alltrax XCT for example would up the cart performance considerably. ~ $450 from a site sponsor. Plug and play. Well documented here.
Might (likely) have to change the rear springs to carry the extra weight. Lately dual rate or two stage springs have become popular. Ride quality doesn't suffer so much when unloaded. I have them on my cart and they work well.
Almost all rear seat kits are flip seats these days. IMO lots of uncomfortable crap out there. Shop around. If you have a dealer that keeps inventory of rear seat equipped carts near by, go sit on them and see what you think. The brand of cart doesn't really mater but the seat does.
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 02:32 PM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

The seat kit weights closer to 100# and you are more than doubling the dead load.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 03:03 PM   #4
mrmotoguzzi00
Gone Wild
Club Car

yup those rear seats are REALLY heavy, 100 might be a little light Scott...
I just installed one... on a 92 Club Car Ds....

And agree on the speed, didn't seem to effect how fast it goes, still hitting 21/22... but I can see where it might take it a little longer to get there...

Also the weight made my wheels rub.... had to put longer shackles to lift it up 2-3 inches, which of course is leading to new shocks... that i will do eventually....

Mike
mrmotoguzzi00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 03:15 PM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

We always figured a rear seat and 2 passengers was adding 500 pounds to a vehicle designed for a 400 pound load, Oh... yeah, and I want to put the biggest tire I can get on it and win the labor day cart race and pull a float in the Christmas parade, and oh, I forgot... climb mount Everest too. Yeah that's it - wait. What? What do you mean it's only a golf cart?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 09:26 PM   #6
03psd73
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
We always figured a rear seat and 2 passengers was adding 500 pounds to a vehicle designed for a 400 pound load, Oh... yeah, and I want to put the biggest tire I can get on it and win the labor day cart race and pull a float in the Christmas parade, and oh, I forgot... climb mount Everest too. Yeah that's it - wait. What? What do you mean it's only a golf cart?
Now you tell me that my cart won't do that
03psd73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 08:38 AM   #7
Swan
Cave Dweller

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03psd73 View Post
Now you tell me that my cart won't do that
That why they make Club Cars , so you can
Swan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 10:10 AM   #8
NCPW
Just Gone

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swan View Post
That why they make Club Cars , so you can
Ba-zinga!
NCPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 02:55 PM   #9
03psd73
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCPW View Post
Ba-zinga!
had a club car before but money got tight and he toys had to go. Ezgo was a heck of a deal so want with it.
03psd73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO