lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-31-2017, 12:21 PM   #1
beerman616
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default Fixing up G16

Hey guys, I've been here off and on for awhile, I used to have an electric Club Car Precedent, but I ended up trading it for a new fridge when we bought our house.

Anyway, last Friday I brought home a new project. A $400 1997 Yamaha G16 that didn't run. I spent all afternoon Sunday trying to see why it wouldn't start with the peddle. After following the sticky ("So your Yami won't turn over") I was able to narrow it down to a ground. After spending more time than I'd care to admit looking for a bad ground. I decided to double check the ground wire that was mounted to the same bolt as the solenoid. Previous owner had replaced the solenoid thinking that was the problem (yes, it says continuous duty on it). I jumped that ground wire to the Neg. battery post and she spun over with no problem when pressing the pedal. So I made a new wire to attach it to the Neg. post and went to work on getting it to actually run. It's been sitting for at least 1 year.

I took the fuel tank out and emptied it. I checked the fuel pump and it was good. I sprayed the carb out pretty good with carb cleaner and took the bowl off to drain anything that was left in it. I put it all together, minus the air filter and set to work on getting it fired. After a little help from my friend, ether, we were off to a very smoky start. IT LIVES!

I do have a couple questions though.

When it's running, gas is leaking from a nipple on the bottom of the bowl on the carb. There is a set screw there, and I tried cranking it all the way in, all the way out, in the middle, etc. The gas keeps coming out while the engine is running. Is this just an overflow? I'm assuming there should be a line on there going somewhere, but where to? Does gas coming out of there mean the float is set wrong?

I've seen some comments here about the $20 carbs on Amazon being junk, while I think I know the answer, I still want to ask... Is that true? Should I just rebuild the one that's on there (I'm not sure if it's original) or is it safe to get a new unit? I do need to order two gaskets for the carb ->Block and intake housing->carb. I'll also replace all the fuel hoses and the vacuum line.

After I got it running, I was able to drive it around the yard for a few laps, but I slowed down a bit too much I guess and it died. I wasn't able to get it started again, and I was tired of messing with it so I just pushed it into the shop. Once I get it running reliably, I'll start a build thread. My wife already has a wish list on Amazon of stuff for the cart (bumper, lift and off-road tires, lights, back seat, etc.)

Anyway, whatever help you can provide is appreciated.

beerman616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-31-2017, 12:23 PM   #2
beerman616
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: Fixing up G16

Just saving these part numbers for easier reference.

Quote:
620-1414J-24-A0 -Pilot jet
JN6-1495H-3B-00 -Main nozzle
7RJ-1414G-00-00 -Pipe main bleed
796-14184-00-00 - Gasket float chamber
127-14198-00-00 -Gasket
JN5-14150-00-00 - Needle assy with clip
3G2-1423E-33-A0 - Main jet
7LV-14211-00-00 -Screw, pilot adjusting
http://www.tntgolfcar.com/yamaha-par...5_454_573.html

https://www.cartpartsplus.com/tune-u...ha-g2-9?page=2
Old 07-31-2017, 12:25 PM   #3
yamahaguy97
Gone Wild

Yamaha

hey,

yeah its an overflow and it usually has a thin tube directing it down toward the ground. The 20 dollar carbs are hit and miss, they can and will work without any fuss but sometimes they don't. I would say spend a little more on a real deal yamaha carb since your fixing it up
yamahaguy97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 12:28 PM   #4
yamahaguy97
Gone Wild

Yamaha

make sure the battery is ok too, you should probably get a new one. Considering you got it running and know what you need to do, I think you made out great only spending 400 for it
yamahaguy97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 12:56 PM   #5
beerman616
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamahaguy97 View Post
hey,

yeah its an overflow and it usually has a thin tube directing it down toward the ground. The 20 dollar carbs are hit and miss, they can and will work without any fuss but sometimes they don't. I would say spend a little more on a real deal yamaha carb since your fixing it up

make sure the battery is ok too, you should probably get a new one. Considering you got it running and know what you need to do, I think you made out great only spending 400 for it
Ok, but the overflow is always flowing when it's running, there must be something wrong with the float or the bowl itself.

The lady I bought it from bought a new battery for it last fall when she tried to have a friend fix it. I put it on the trickle charger for a full day and it seemed to work fine yesterday, even with all the cranking it was doing. It tested fine after charging, but I'll keep an eye on it. Thanks!
Old 07-31-2017, 01:38 PM   #6
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

sounds like a stuck float - if You're handy, pulling the carb and giving it a thorough cleaning as well as an overnight soak in carb cleaner should solve the problem.

That said, aftermarket carbs are every bit as good as factory (at 15% the cost) however they generally need to be cleaned and the jets blown out prior to installation - the "issues" some have almost always (and by "almost always" I've ever seen ONE that was anything but dirty in 6 years of working on carts, 2 of them professionally) related to manufacturing lubricants, micro-shavings, etc left behind at the factory. I have *also* seen that on factory Club Car carbs too though, so again - either thoroughly disnatle yours and clean it right or buy another and do the same thing. IE I'd start with yours.
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 03:25 PM   #7
Spicyunicorn
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Buy a rebuild kit for yours and replace the jets needle and bowl o ring might cost the same or more than a Chinese but with a cart you don't know well enough you don't want to toss in another potential problem with a junk carb when you're trying work the bugs out of it just my two cents take it for what it's worth
Spicyunicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 04:20 PM   #8
beerman616
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Well, I just ordered the carb kit for G2/G9 that was linked on another post as the same for the G16 from CPP and a tune up kit and 2 carb gaskets from buggiesunlimited. Hopefully they'll get here by the weekend so I can take the carb off and let it soak overnight Thursday/Friday night in carb cleaner. After it's running correctly, then the fun stuff gets to start happening.
Old 08-04-2017, 10:34 PM   #9
beerman616
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

It runs! Pretty good too.

I got the parts in this week, all except for the two gaskets for either side of the carb. More on that later.

I removed the carb and got that soaking in the carb cleaner. Removed all the fuel lines and replaced with new lines and a new filter. Changed the plug out. The old one was completely caked in black sludge. Let the carb and jets soak while I made a new gasket. The gasket on the block side of the carb tore in half on removal, so I used a gasket that was leftover from some other small engine. I was able to cut the hole bigger and trim the rest down to fit. It seems to work for now. Apparently the actual gaskets are back-ordered, would have been nice if buggies unlimited would've told me that, in some way other than on the packing slip.

So, I cleaned up the carb after it soaking for awhile and got everything back together... and it wouldn't start. I determined it wasn't sucking any gas up, so I used a small siphon pump to prime the lines with gas from a can and it fired right up after getting gas to the carb. It was pretty smokey at first, but it seemed to get better after a while. I tried to shut it off and it wouldn't quit idling. I had to hold the throttle linkage shut to kill it. I had to adjust the linkage on the governor to let the cable close the throttle plate a touch more. That did the trick, and after hooking the gas line back up to the tank and putting the seat back on I took it for a couple laps of the backyard while holding a flashlight. The wife even came out and rode for a few more laps (and held the flashlight for me). It seemed to be smoking a little bit yet, but it was hard to tell for sure in the dark.

Will start a build thread sometime soon as we get around to getting parts for it.

It's alive! Thanks to this site for reference materials to help troubleshoot all the issues I ran into!
Old 08-12-2017, 12:44 PM   #10
beerman616
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

So, it seems to run pretty good, but it seems a bit smokey and noisy. Perhaps I'm just not used to a gasser, but it seems like there's some valve noise or something.

I took a picture of the plug to see if anyone can help diagnose if there's a problem. This is after about an hour of riding maybe, and about 6ish miles. Does that look normal? It seems to me there's too much black gunk on the electrode on top.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170812_104530.jpg (74.1 KB, 0 views)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha