lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-23-2017, 06:39 PM   #1
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Default Flathead Carryall - no reverse

Just went to look at a customers cart, it seems to be shifting fine but when it's in reverse the rear end is locked up, can't spin the clutch, wheels locked, and no play anywhere - just locked. Going to go pick it up in the AM and bring it back to the shop, but I've never seen this before, has anyone else? I disconnected the shift cable to make sure I was getting full travel of the shift arm (It is) but like I said, as soon as it clicks into reverse it's just locked up, period ...

Anyone see this or have an idea of where to start? Short-term, I have an extra rear end sitting around so I can just swap it to get the cart back to the customer, but I'd rather not waste an hour and a half screwing around - any ideas?
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-24-2017, 06:49 AM   #2
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

Default Re: Flathead Carryall - no reverse

I've never tried this, but, it's worked for a number of members...
Apparently, a synchro gets stuck when shifting while still moving!

Find a hill (preferably paved) and in neutral, slowly coast backwards down the hill, then quickly JAM the shifter in reverse!

It may sound horrible, and torturous... but, 9 out of 10 times it frees it up!

lockman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 07:18 AM   #3
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

I agree! Try to knock them loose & make sure it's good synthetic lube in the trans. Any time I've come across a stuck synchro it's seemed to be a "dry" fit - for some reason lube didn't stay in the gap and the synchro stuck in place. Once it's knocked loose & lubed up it slides freely like it should.
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 08:35 AM   #4
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

*Ouch* that sounds harsh, LOL - but I'll give it a try, can't hurt. Thanks as always, I'm heading out to pick up the cart in a bit so I'll let You guys know how it worked (or not)
Old 08-24-2017, 07:18 PM   #5
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Well *THAT* wasn't the result I was hoping for, LOL ... Hooked it up to one of the shop carts and while rolling it slowly in reverse tried putting it into gear (reverse) and nothing. Did it again, and it lurched a little bit, stopped dead, and now the entire transaxle is frozen solid.

Guess who isn't getting a short day to go to the fair tomorrow ?!? Have a date with a couple of rear ends, it would seem (in college, that would have had me looking FORWARD to tomorrow, at MY age now though, not so much, hahahahaha)

The light at the end of the tunnel, though - and yes there is one - is that we finally got approval from the township for signage at the end of our access road, I think I finally have enough parts to assemble and paint an engine-free DS to mount on a pole down there - a slightly tweaked frame, a sht body that will look good from the road w some creative paint, a frozen rear end, a set of 23's on 2 good and 2 bent rims ... Some vinyl paint on an old set of seats, fab up a set of mounts, grab the loader, and hoist it up on the partial utility pole that's still there from when we went underground in 1994 - this could be a blessing, although it doesn't seem like it right now, LOL. They approved me for an 8X4 sign, *technically* I do believe "Frankencart" might just fit the Bill(Board)
Old 08-25-2017, 06:52 AM   #6
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

Cr*p! (transaxle)

Cool! (sign)

Sorry it didn't work for you... I was pretty confident that it would!

lockman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car