lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-01-2017, 06:56 PM   #1
mrbrandon
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default club car oil blow by question

I have a 1991 Club Car 291cc motor. I had the engine rebuilt, new fuel pump, fuel lines, new exhaust. The problem im having is that the cart will run for about 30 mins then die. My research stated that I check the gas cap, fuel tank vent and pulse pump hose from the motor to the pump. I noticed the pulse pump line from the motor to the fuel pump has oil in it. If I draim that line she fires back up till she quits on me. I read that is has to much oil in crankcase if it does this. I talked to my engine builder ( small engine back yard guy) and he said he put 48 oz of oil in it. Well my owners guide says it only takes 40 oz of oil. So to be safe I drained oil and put 40 oz of fresh oil in it. The cart has ran for 2 hours no quiting so far.. I checked the pulse pump line and it has some not as much oil in it. I pulled that line from engine and ran motor with my hand in front of it and my hand gets soaked with oil. Any advice or help would be great on this topic. Thank you in advance.
mrbrandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-01-2017, 07:02 PM   #2
jdgriner
Getting Wild

Club Car

Default Re: club car oil blow by question

Sounds like your pulse line is too long... There shouldn't be any droops in line.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
jdgriner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 06:03 AM   #3
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Your 1991 Club Car should have a 341cc motor (never heard of a 291cc). It's normal to have some oil in that pulse line, but not for it to be swamped with oil. If you've been running well without stalling, your problem may have been solved.

Sometimes, if a cart is run hard up and down hills, bumps, etc, excess of oil can get into the pulse line and stall it out, especially if the oil is overfilled. And if there are droops in the line (as mentioned earlier) the oil can get stranded in there, requiring the line to be removed and drained. I've seen some guys on here move the pulse line up to the PVC nipple (up higher, near the carb) to alleviate this.
Springbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 06:10 AM   #4
mrbrandon
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Yes 341 cc my mistake. Thank you for the replies.
Old 10-03-2017, 05:10 PM   #5
mrbrandon
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

no dip in pulse pump line from motor to fuel pump, fresh oil at 40 oz. I pulled the line off and let motor tun off gas that was in the fuel line. I put end of hose from motor in a cup and within 60 seconds the cup was 1/4 full, something is going on and im puzzled.
Old 10-04-2017, 04:54 AM   #6
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

But is your cart still stalling out?

And if your cup was below the motor when you stuck the hose in it then it doesn't sound surprising that oil made it's way into the cup (?). Like I said, it's normal for some oil to get into the pulse line, but gravity (hose going up into the bottom nipple of the fuel pump) keeps it from pooling in there and blocking the line.
Old 10-04-2017, 10:45 AM   #7
mrbrandon
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

The line is brand new I replaced it so no clogs, the cart will run for approx 8 mins then quit. The cup filled way to fast. I put my hand infront of the nipple on motor and it soaks my hand. Is it possible my guy does not have the valves seated correctly or the tolerance is off? I understand some minimal oil in the line as you stated but this is way more than a little. Thanks for your help.
Old 10-04-2017, 11:43 AM   #8
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

When the motor quits, are you sure it's fuel-related? I'd maybe grab a small container of some kind with a nipple at the bottom and try gravity-feeding fuel to the carb (bypassing the fuel pump). There's not much to say about the oiling systems in these engines, the engines are internally oiled simply by a metal finger bolted to the end of the connecting rod that dips in and out of the oil sump, splashing it throughout the crankcase. I can't say that I'm at all shocked that oil comes out that nipple on your hand.

The problem you're describing, motor cutting off after a few minutes, is generally what happens when the ignition coil unit is bad. The connections inside it begin to deteriorate, so that once the coil gets hot it begins cutting out.
Old 10-04-2017, 11:49 AM   #9
mrbrandon
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I just ran the hose from the valve cover outlet behind the carb bowl. Gas is flowing and cart is running checked that line and not one spec of oil. I put the black hose from the nipple on motor to ground and its a huge puddle. Can that nipple on motor be plugged so no spray comes out and use the valve cover outlet with hose to pulse the fuel pump?
Old 10-04-2017, 11:54 AM   #10
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Yeah. Just plug that nipple you're not using and you should be fine. Let us know if that fixes your issue.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car