lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Columbia ParCar

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-05-2018, 06:01 PM   #11
Ericc57
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Columbia / ParCar comments/complaints

Tires are215/40/12
Ericc57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-06-2018, 08:45 AM   #12
Lochlin
Gone Wild

This has the potential to be a somewhat interesting post. You may want to start a post in the gas Columbia section and link to this one. Rather than having one super long post, I will probably have several shorter ones.

As an owner of several vintage Columbia carts, all 80s, and a frequent poster to those with questions, here on BGW, I can tell you that, at least in a general sense, Columbias seem to have become the black cat of carts to the point where most people think that Columbia doesn't even exist anymore.

For the most part, there are only a couple of members here at BGW that know a bit about Columbias and can assist other users. It might be nice to have a Columbia mechanic or something similar log into BGW every couple of days to look for new posts in the Columbia sections to supplement this thin knowledge base, particularly with the "newer" carts as those changed pretty radically over the years and no members seem to have much info on the newer ones.
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 09:07 AM   #13
Tech Support
How Can I Help?

I usually do check daily but to be honest I am weak on the older gas vehicles so count on the community for help with those.
Tech Support is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 10:34 AM   #14
Lochlin
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech Support View Post
I usually do check daily but to be honest I am weak on the older gas vehicles so count on the community for help with those.
I hear you. I know the old stuff like that back of my hand but things changed pretty radically with these carts in the mid-90s and that's when I am of little help.
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 01:35 PM   #15
Trevorfell
Not Yet Wild
Columbia

Open comments thread is brave Tech Support.

I have one gripe and several :

1) Columbia parts and mods seem to be significantly more $ than other manufacturers.
--This may be a quality decision on the part of Columbia as the cart I just bought is a 2009 SM4 with 7 years of government use (spotty maintenance & drive-it-like-you-stole-it use. I've got 19 years in the military, I know how we do) and two years sitting in a guy's garage cause "it just won't go fast, I tried everything" and all it needs is a new seatbelt bracket and a speed encoder--maybe bust a little rust. Impressed by the condition that his non-maintained machine is still in.
Kudos:

1) Tech Support your posts are very helpful and eminently professional. Even when some other forum users get a little touchy about your advice.
--This is my first electric vehicle so my troubleshooting instincts aren't quite right yet and Columbia's service manual is a little sparse.
2) Very well designed circuits and wiring harnesses.
--Working on military equipment for years has caused me to appreciate clearly printed wires, and simplified circuits. I was able to test continuity, voltage, and ensure proper polarity on each lead in the accelerator/ controller circuit in about an hour (including diagram references, hood removal, and two sangria refills). Impossible on most anything else I've worked on--HMMWVs, and AAVs are horrible.
Question -> Tech Support:
Is Columbia ever likely to put together a YouTube Channel documenting Service & Maintenance Procedures and maybe Trouble Shooting Steps?
Trevorfell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 03:59 PM   #16
Tech Support
How Can I Help?

Absolutely on the videos! It's been something I've been trying to assemble for several years, and looks like now might the push time. We've been starting to shoot operator training videos and will jumping into the service ones next. Will want to keep each at 5 minutes or less. Thanks for checking on that.
Old 07-17-2018, 12:19 AM   #17
Trevorfell
Not Yet Wild
Columbia

Good to know! Thanks!
Trevorfell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 11:51 AM   #18
SD-Slim
Not Yet Wild

I have a 2015 Par Car P5 (DC) with low hours. When driving it over 5 miles the voltage guage may swing back and forth and the cart will slow and speed up along with the swings.

I find that if I let up on the acellerator and go into regen for a moment it will clear the problem - for a while.

i think I hear some "clicking" sounds while the guage is swinging back and forth.

Any ideas and thoughts about the cost to fix?
SD-Slim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 05:41 PM   #19
swb713
Gone Wild

Columbia

Cool Re: Columbia / ParCar comments/complaints

Well ... I have just been given a 2007 48v Legacy Eagle (P4E).
So far, I like how it is all put together, but I am just getting into it.
I was told that all it needs is batteries. Not so.
There were a couple of wires I could not figure out what they were for or where the are supposed to be hooked up at. I found the Parts Manual online and traced everything out. I have power running to everything, but I am getting a Flash Code "1" when I turn on the key. From what I can tell is it looks like either I have something hooked up wrong, or the Controller needs to be reprogrammed. That flash code means that the personalities on the controller ore out of range.
I am looking into this, but I think I am going to have to find someone with a Sevcon hand held programmer before I can go any further.

Like I said ... I like how everything is put together on this Par Car. Much easier to get to everything than on my two previous carts. I had a '92 Club Car DS and a friend traded me a 2003 Club Car Carry-all for it. I still have the Carry-all and I use it at work.

I do wish that there were more accessories to be found for the Par Car. I would like to put a lift kit on it, but can't seem to find one made for this cart. I think I can make a Jake's 4" Double A-Arm work for the front, and come up with something else for the rear. But I look at it as a challenge and that's part of the fun when customizing something.
swb713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 09:24 PM   #20
Tech Support
How Can I Help?

That unit can have a 2” or a 4” factory deaigned lift kit but they are pricier than noat have to spend. (Check evtechnicalservices.com/parts and category accessories).

The one flash usually ends up being a controller needing replacement.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Columbia ParCar