lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-17-2018, 08:12 AM   #1
vartz04
Getting Wild

Default Are my old batteries limiting my top speed or is it something else?

So I just got done putting a bunch of parts on my g19. One of them being 4AWG cables.

I had put an alltrax 400 amp controller last year so I turned it up to 400 Amps and set the RPm limit to 4500.

Based on the calculator with my stock height tires I should be hitting 20. Problem is when monitoring the alltrax with a laptop it never gets over 4000 rpm and I’m seeing a max of about 16 mph.

The batteries are 8 years old but still have enough to get us around the lake once. Voltage going up hill drops to about 45 with just me in it.

I’m buying new batteries but just wanted to see if it was something else causing this or if this is a symptom of the batteries
vartz04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-17-2018, 08:44 AM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Are my old batteries limiting my top speed or is it something else?

I'd be curious to know what battery pack voltage highs and lows you see on that monitor as well as the high motor draw amperage > and what the battery voltage reads at the highest motor draw amperage

New batteries should help. Be sure to buy the highest capacity battery you find affordable. A larger battery will be drawn down a lower percentage each cycle and therefore can be recharged more times giving a longer useful life.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 10:47 AM   #3
vartz04
Getting Wild

I’ll have to run it where it logs it once. Too cold today. Highest amperage I saw was around 200 and that was when the voltage was around 45
Old 02-18-2018, 10:02 AM   #4
vartz04
Getting Wild

So playing around with the triangle, looks like I lose out on 3000 watts of available power at the 400 amps by my batteries dropping to 45v vs healthy batteries at 49ish volts at a full charge(19000ish to 16000ish watts)That in my head explains it. My head had been known to be wrong though. Also the fact that in these motors, from what I understand anyway, voltage = speed so if I am running at only 45 volts under load then I will have less speed vs if I had a brand new set of batteries that only dropped to 49 volts under load.

Sound right to you guys or am I possibly missing something else? I am not looking for a speed demon here as a lot of time it’s me and the wife and two toddlers. But when I need to do a beer run with a buddy I would like it to max out at 18-20mph (and I’ll adjust the rpm limit when I do lift and put 20-22” tires on it to keep it below 20)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha