lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-24-2018, 04:45 PM   #1
5point9
Not Yet Wild

Default YDRE Extending Range

I've got a 2009 drive.. and it has 1.5yr old 1275's. It has the 6" lift and large tires, rear seat, etc..
Even with the stock controller and motor, my range would suffer after 10 miles. I've since added the Don Plowman's Riot Kit (holy crap!!) and now with my foot in it I'm lucky to get 5 miles. Granted, I'm smart enough to know that if you want 28-30mph out of a lifted cart, your range is going to suffer.

Looking for more range. One option appears to be converting my cart to 6-8v's which on paper gives me 20-30% more range. But geez, that's going to cost me some coin.

Crazy thought. Looking for guys with vast electrical knowledge. I know that when you wire batteries in series, like our carts, the voltage adds and capacity remains the same. What if, and if, I added one more 1275 battery and tied in parallel with another 1275 that is already on board? In theory those two batteries would combine for 12v and double capacity. However, I theorize that when using the cart, those two batteries would wear down 1/2 as fast as the others. I'm not sure that would benefit me a lot.. also when charging, I'm not sure if those two would charge at the same rate as the ones just tied in series.

Even if adding the 1 1275 in parallel would buy me 20% range, it would be MUCH cheaper than buying a whole new suite of T-870's or T-890's. Someday when the 1275's die, I will convert. But right now I've got 1275's that are in 95% shape and I'd hate to just trade them in as cores.

Thoughts?
5point9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-24-2018, 04:46 PM   #2
5point9
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: YDRE Extending Range

FYI, I'm not affiliated with Plowman's but the riot kit is flat out crazy. With just me on the cart, I can lift the tires 1-2" off the ground from a start and hit 28mph on the flat and easily 30-35mph on gentle downhills. Don has been super helpful in every way.
Old 02-24-2018, 05:23 PM   #3
5point9
Not Yet Wild

So the way I see it, when my battery pack pulls down, the two batteries in parallel will pull down half as fast. So the question is will that help extend my range even a little bit? Again 10-20% range improvement would help as that is all switching over to 6 - 8v will do. But I'm not sure what will happen when I charge them. Will it cause the other batteries to be over-charged? I kinda don't care if it shortens the life of the batteries as some day I will convert to 6 - 8v.
Old 02-24-2018, 06:54 PM   #4
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

It will shorten battery life, but will function. Don't know how much actual gain you will see.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 08:11 AM   #5
5point9
Not Yet Wild

Not sure either as the other batteries will still pull down, so will the two in parallel actually provide any extra "oomph"? I haven't seen or heard anyone do this.. may not even be worth the extra weight (of the battery that is).
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha