lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-22-2018, 02:33 PM   #1
wdeydwondrer
Not Yet Wild

Default High rev & starting problem - 07 Carryall 2 plus

07 Carryall 2 Plus - Been worked on by unknown number of maintenance techs over it's life. We had a golf cart company come out and tell us we needed to replace the voltage regulator as the cart was no longer charging the battery. We finally got the matching voltage regulator (7 wires on this stupid thing) and installed it as the old one was installed.

Now I have an interesting problem and not sure where to look for what is bad. Everything hooked up how it was and the engine will turn over with no problem but I'm getting no spark at the plug.

I unhook the little slip wire that connects BOTH the RPM limiter & the ignition coil to the electrical box and the motor will actually start and cart runs, but the key won't turn it off. Plugging the wire back together immediately kills the motor.

All that plugged back proper and I took the White w/ Black stripe wire off the NC middle connector on the relay and the engine will start and stop with the key and the cart runs, but I have wildly out of control revving.

Like I said, this thing has been rigged by MANY people and I need to get it in order to run proper again. There was also a rumored hidden kill switch one of our past electricians may have wired in. Where do I start with this mess?
wdeydwondrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-22-2018, 02:44 PM   #2
cartpartsplusman
Getting Wild
Club Car

Default Re: High rev & starting problem - 07 Carryall 2 plus

when you un hook the wire by the dip stick i isolates the motor from the ing switch and the miro switchs if you unhook ground from rev limiter it removes that if engine runs the issue is in one of the two you bypassed if it revs up to much that way check trottle shaft position and if it has a butterfly.throttle has to be open a bit to run so set idle stop good luck
cartpartsplusman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 08:40 PM   #3
wdeydwondrer
Not Yet Wild

I will try this tomorrow.
Old 03-23-2018, 04:23 PM   #4
wdeydwondrer
Not Yet Wild

So the wire by the dipstick is the one that splits to both limiter and coil? I disconnect that and the engine starts fine, problem is the micro switches or key ignition?

I do have the butterfly opened just a touch, but it's SUPER touchy on the gas. I have about 1/16 of a turn on the set screw between too slow / stall and too fast / transmission is engaged. Surely it shouldn't be that touchy.
Old 03-24-2018, 06:44 AM   #5
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

Welcome to BGW wdeydwondrer!

For your "Nothing to Full throttle" scenario...
It's pretty common on Club Car/Kawasaki carburetors to have the butterfly break in half, or completely break off, which will cause nothing to full throttle.

Click pic to enlarge:

054.JPG

I noticed you mentioned a "Relay" that's in the Electrical Components Box, (ECB) which tells me you have a "key start" cart,
I know very little about them, but, there's are a few things that I've read over the years that cause a "no run" scenario with key start carts,

A bad key switch, (5 lug for key start carts... not normally stocked by most vendors)
A bad microswitch in the ECB
or... A bad relay.

But... since it's been rigged over the years by others, it may, or may not be any of those, so it'll take some time to figure out.

Attached below is a downloadable pdf of an Illustrated Parts List for a 2008 CA2 Plus in 3 parts,
The 2nd one (IPL2) has wiring diagrams a few pages from the top,
One is for a pedal start cart (no relay), and one is for a key start cart (relay),
Hopefully, it will help you figure out what "the others" may have, or may not have done!

If you find something that needs replacing, Cart Parts Plus has been my "go to" CC parts supplier for years,
Bruce (aka cartpartsplusman) replied to you above, click on his signature, and it will take you to his website.
However, It might be best to CALL him for info... not everything is on his website!

Attached Files
File Type: pdf 08Carryall2-IPL1.pdf (7.96 MB, 0 views)
File Type: pdf 08Carryall2-IPL2.pdf (4.96 MB, 0 views)
File Type: pdf 08Carryall2-IPL3.pdf (7.01 MB, 0 views)
lockman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 12:24 PM   #6
wdeydwondrer
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the reply and welcome!

I will have the cart for troubleshooting all day on Wednesday so I'll dig into a full wiring track down. I've only been able to look at it while that employee is on a lunch break.

Yes the cart is key start (we have a mixture of key/pedal from various years and model lines, all CC Carryall though). One interesting thing is the voltage regulator. The parts break down show a 7 wire regulator but the wiring diagram only shows 4 wires out of the regulator. Is there somehow I can verify where all 7 should be hooked to?
Old 03-28-2018, 10:36 AM   #7
wdeydwondrer
Not Yet Wild

Got into this a bit today.

The butterfly is fine and intact. It appears the governor is not working. I loosened the screw so the shaft could spin free and the rpm limiter kicked in w/out the shaft ever spinning. To correct this at least for now I have backed off the cable in the ecb so I have really slow start speed but with it floored (everyone drives this way) it doesn't over rev.

Microswitch in ecb is good, after I took off the zip tie holding it closed??? The relay I believe to be the problem. The White / Black stripe wire from the NC to the engine kill is unhooked and start/run/stop appears to be working as intended.

I still have no clue if the voltage regulator is actually hooked up right as there are 7 wires but only 4 on the wiring diagram. Also, I checked the battery while running both at idle and reved, getting 12.9 volts. Off the generator at full speed I'm about 14.5 volts. Shouldn't the charge be reading at the battery terminal as well?
Old 03-29-2018, 04:56 AM   #8
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

Check to see if the throttle return spring is intact. (#12 on Page 10-10 of IPL2)

I, personally have never seen a 7 wire voltage regulator on a cart, much less a Club Car...
Only 4 wire... 2 black (both grounds), Yellow (to the starter/generator), and red (to the solenoid)

12.9 volts is about right at an idle, the S/G doesn't really start charging until about 1100 to 1300 rpm's,
but it should jump up to about 15.3V at mid to full throttle.
and yes, you can check the output readings at the battery... as long as the battery is in good shape!
Old 03-29-2018, 11:16 AM   #9
wdeydwondrer
Not Yet Wild

Spring is intact and working.

Battery is brand new. I'm getting roughly 15v on the generator taps, but not at the battery terminal when rev'd up.

The voltage regulator looks exactly like what is on page 6-22. Red, blue, yellow, and then 3 black and a white are soldered together. The wiring diagram seems to ignore that there's 7 leads and I'm a bit lost. Right now I have the red, yellow, and blue plus 1 black wired as showing. 2 more blacks go to the relay and the white is wired to the empty side of the solenoid, the small post with only the jumper attached. Wiring diagram doesn't show that at all.
Old 04-01-2018, 07:04 AM   #10
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

Okay... I stand corrected... AGAIN!
(Like I said... I don't know much about key start carts)

While looking through a 98 CA2 IPL, I found THESE...

7 wire V/R in the ECB... (come to find out? this is on page 6-22 of the 08 IPL2)

keystartECB.jpg

And the wiring diagram for it! (not in the 08 IPL)

98CA2keywiring.jpg

Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car