lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-27-2018, 10:05 AM   #1
Dr. Bob
Not Yet Wild

Default Storing cart for 6 months in heat

I'm a snowbird about to "summerize" my cart for 6+ months. What's the best protocol for helping my batteries last longer?

Before answering: my cart will sit through the summer for 6-9 months in a garage in Palm Springs, where daytime temperatures can reach 140 degrees!

Problem #2: my cart is a 42V "Western" cart, with seven 6V batteries.

I see posts suggesting using battery tenders, but I can only find 48V and 36V models. Can I use one of these?

I have considered disconnecting one of the batteries and using a 36V to maintain 6 of the batteries. I could then use a 6V tender to keep the lone battery charged. Is there a better way? Thanks, in advance.
Dr. Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-27-2018, 10:46 AM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Storing cart for 6 months in heat

Ideally you could rent the cart to a summer use. That would keep the cart running and charging. The next time this cart needs batteries put 6/8v in it and get a 48v battery charger with float or maintenance mode.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 10:50 AM   #3
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

to be honest....if your cart is truly going to be left TOTALLY UNATTENDED, and no one can check on it......I think your real problem will be EVAPORATION of water in the cells. that's what I would be worried about. After 6-9 months in the heat you mentioned I would bet money your batteries won't have much or any water in them at all.
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 02:55 PM   #4
Goliath
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

I've got a place not too far from you, in Indian Wells.
The Western cart I've had for about a year lives out there.

I only go out there every 3-5 weeks, and EVERY time I went out, the water was low. With the excessive heat, and almost 0% humidity, it sucks the life (and water) out of the batteries.

I bought a timer-controlled A/C outlet, and set it to turn on the charger for 2 hours per week to keep the charge up.

The water issue was a big factor when I made the decision to convert to Lithium.
Goliath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 03:20 PM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

If you live in San Diego ~ Why go anywhere
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 03:48 PM   #6
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
Exactly!!
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 05:20 PM   #7
Goliath
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

You can drive less than 2 hours and "feel" like you're getting a vacation. Basically just putting off all responsibilities for a weekend, and driving to a place that's 30 degrees hotter, lol.

Weird thing is, all utilities are cheaper in IW, and it's in the middle of the Desert. San Diego has to be one of the most expensive places to live. We pump gas to Arizona, and it's .30 cheaper a gallon out there. My water bill out here is $550. In IW (Indian Wells) it's $50. My electric bill in S.D. is $700-800 in the summer. In IW, it's $75. I'd move from here if I didn't like the climate so much. That, and I drive 30 min's to launch boat and catch large tuna, white seabass, etc and then drive 1.5 hrs to Ocotillo Wells to go dirt bike riding.

Too bad it's so expensive, and the politics SUCK!
But, if you'll excuse me, I've gotta run. My office looks outside and, since the weather's getting warmer, the bikinis are coming out in force...
Goliath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 09:40 PM   #8
ThreeCW
Gone Wild

Cushman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goliath View Post
But, if you'll excuse me, I've gotta run. My office looks outside and, since the weather's getting warmer, the bikinis are coming out in force...
Bikinis??? I just took the chains off the Cushman this week after we lost 16" of snow during a Spring thaw.

I look forward to finding out more suggestions on how "Dr. Bob" can best "summer-ize" his batteries. You may want to check with the local golf cart or battery shops who may have a good solution for you.
ThreeCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 11:10 PM   #9
Jmzvet
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
ScottyB is a wise man

Could you remove the batteries and store them in a cooler place? Palm Springs is hot but prob not over 100 inside the house? I could be wrong since its always 75 here
Jmzvet is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery storage
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO