lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-24-2018, 06:40 AM   #1
rsw007
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Bad battery? Uneven charge won't shut off.

I've got farily new batteries " crown cr235s".
Currently at the beach woke up this morning and charged was still on and carts led gauge is showing 46.2v

So while still on charge 5 batteries are between 7.73 to 7.81 and one was at 7.34.

I'm guessing the low battery is why the charge was still humming at approximately 1a.

Powerwise g04.
rsw007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-24-2018, 12:52 PM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Bad battery? Uneven charge won't shut off.

If you have a PW 28115 G04, either the control board is bad or the sensed battery pack voltage isn't getting the the control board.

Measure the voltage between the red and black wires at the control board. If it is the same a the voltage between the main positive and negative terminals on the battery pack, the control board is bad. If it is less, than fix the battery sense circuit.

Also, check the fluid levels in your batteries, they have been gassing hard.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 01:58 PM   #3
rsw007
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Johnnie we are at ocean lakes heat index yesterday 101 and 105 right now. So gassing could be issue. Just didn't think one battery should be that far from rest of pack on batteries that are 3 months old today. Made in January and purchased in March. Last night was there 11th charge.
Old 06-24-2018, 02:24 PM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsw007 View Post
Johnnie we are at ocean lakes heat index yesterday 101 and 105 right now. So gassing could be issue. Just didn't think one battery should be that far from rest of pack on batteries that are 3 months old today. Made in January and purchased in March. Last night was there 11th charge.
Batteries aren't subject to the heat index, just the actual air temperature. Low humidity will increase the evaporation loss somewhat, but a high heat index indicates high humidity.

Those were On-charge voltages given, but you are right, a 0.47V spread does seem like quite a bit. What are the At-rest voltages?

If you have access to a 6V charger, giving the low ones an individual boost charge might balance out the pack. I try to keep my 6V batteries within 0.1V of each other when they are at rest.
Old 06-25-2018, 08:28 AM   #5
rsw007
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

First of all. Big thank you Johnnieb for always answering my questions.

Maybe yesterday was a weird fluke with either batteries or charger. Plugged in last night at 11:30 after check each battery and they were within .03 of each other. Got up and checked at 3am and was at 45.6 and still charging and when I checked at 8am they were down to 40.4v and charger was off.
Now at 9:20 pack voltage is 38.9v and each battery is lowest flip flopping from 6.48-6.49 and highest is flip flopping from 6.50-6.51
I'll add little water to two or three cells that are around 1/8 over plates. Rest are still3/16-1/4. Haven't add water to these yet since buying them in late march.
Old 06-25-2018, 08:35 AM   #6
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Old 06-25-2018, 08:52 AM   #7
rsw007
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Johnnie side question.
If charger is possibly going out is it worth the money since I already have 6 new batteries and alltrax spm48400 to convert to dpi 42v?
1 battery+ solenoid+ charger?
Old 06-25-2018, 09:40 AM   #8
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsw007 View Post
Johnnie side question.
If charger is possibly going out is it worth the money since I already have 6 new batteries and alltrax spm48400 to convert to dpi 42v?
1 battery+ solenoid+ charger?
The batteries would very likely have a longer usable lifespan even if you stayed at 36V and got a DPI charger.
The PW 28115 charges batteries to a specific voltage (45V +/-1V) that is high enough to "almost" charge new batteries and low enough not overcharge old batteries, while the DPI uses dV/dT (change in Voltage over change in Time) to end the charge cycle and fully charges batteries regardless of age.

The 7th battery will up both speed and torque by about 16.6% and if it is the cart in your avatar, it looks like it has tall tires, so some more torque would most likely be welcomed.

Whether those gains are worth it is up to you.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO