lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-18-2018, 11:26 AM   #11
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: EZGO Solenoid Compatibility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarler View Post
Thanks, I will check it out. I had my laptop connected to the controller last week when it was up and running and was trying to make sense of it. I will hook it up again and see what it says.

I have read on this site that there's potential to burn up the stock motor, so I have been babying it. It is still running as of now with the Curtis controller.

Are these measurements with the cables detached? Also, you have A1 to A2 shown twice. Is one a typo? I'm still pretty new at all of this.

A1 to A2 ought to measure between 0.3Ω to 1.0Ω
F1 to F2 ought to measure between 0.3Ω to 1.0Ω
A1 to F1 ought to measure OPEN
A1 to A2 ought to measure greater than 5MΩ
Oops, the duplicate should read "F1 to Case ought to measure greater than 5MΩ" I edited my post to correct it.

-------------
Turn the Max Motoring Armature and Battery Amps down to 400A to keep from burning up the stock PDS motor. Turn it back to 500A when you get a motor that can handle it.

Stalled, accelerating from a standstill or bogged down to walking speed on a steep hill are about the only times a stock PDS motor can draw over 400A. Cruising at speeds over about 10MPH (with 18" tall tires), the motor can only draw 100A or less and the max amp throughput of the controller doesn't matter much.

-----------

Measured at motor studs with cables disconnected at one end or the other.

You can measure between the cables going to the motor from the controller (controller end of cables disconnected), but the cables will add some resistance to the measurement and how much will be added is a question.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-18-2018, 11:30 AM   #12
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Morning coffee must not have kicked in yet.

F1 to F2 ought to measure between 1.0Ω to 2.0Ω
Old 08-18-2018, 11:59 AM   #13
Smarler
Not Yet Wild

The Alltrax tool kit is giving me an error message of overcurrent. I attached an image, I think. Not sure what that means, but was going to dig into their help site. I took those two parameters down to 400A as you recommended. Any ideas of the error code.

alltrax monitor shot.jpg
Smarler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 01:03 PM   #14
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

The overcurrent error flag is probably what is giving you the short circuit/output fault blink code.

For some reason the controller is detecting 137.4A of current flow in the battery circuit (controller's B- to B+ terminals) while the Solenoid contacts are open (Relay Status: Off).

Do you have the diode installed backwards between the large terminals on the solenoid?

Arte the high current cables landed on the correct terminals on the XCT?
Schematic attached.

------------
This seems wrong. If there was 137.4A of current flow for any significant length of time, I'm pretty sure something would be getting mighty hot or smoking.

It is getting to be time to contact Alltrax.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg XCT-PDS with regen diode -2.jpg (233.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 08-18-2018, 01:33 PM   #15
Smarler
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for your help JohnnieB. The silver strip on the diode is on the side of the terminal to the battery POS; black side towards the terminal leading to the controller B+. So, I think I'm good. All other cable follow the schematic. I'll give Alltrax a call on Monday and see what they say.

Thanks again
Old 08-18-2018, 02:07 PM   #16
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

As I see it, there were two problems with overlapping symptoms.
F1 or F2 cable issue causing the intermittent shutdown of the stock controller.
XCT sensing ~137A of battery current with solenoid contacts open and doing a global shutdown.

Alltrax will probably want you to ship the XCT back to them, but you do have the stock PDS controller and the F cable problem has been fixed, so you aren't dead in the water.

Let us know how things turn out.
Old 08-18-2018, 05:50 PM   #17
Smarler
Not Yet Wild

Will do. Thanks
Old 09-13-2018, 02:51 PM   #18
Smarler
Not Yet Wild

Just as a followup to my last post, I contracted Alltrax about the error flag on my controller and they replaced it with out any problem. I have not had a chance to reinstall it at this time to see if it fixes the issues I am having.

While waiting on the replacement controller, I reinstalled the Curtis controller and White-Rodgers solenoid and everything worked great. The cart was upon stands, so I left it on the changer for a few days and would every day check the cart to make sure it was working. After about 3 days, I pressed the foot pedal and got no response. The solenoid was not clicking. I unhooked everything, put it back together and basically the same thing happened. This time I turned off the Run/Tow switch for a minute or so, and it started working again. I drove it on the street for a short run and it all worked great.

After that, I took it back down to the coast for a long test drive.
Day 1: everything ran great for the hour I had it out.
Day 2: ran great, but then shut down after a while (no solenoid clicking); I turn the
Run/tow switch off and back on and it worked again
Day 3: Ran and then started shutting down. Each time this happened, I either rolled
it backwards about 6"s or we came to a stop and I would have to turn the R/T
switch on and off. Finally, back at the house it was not responding at all.
Again, solenoid was not clicking. I am also not getting any error code from the Curtis controller.

Any thoughts on what is causing this? Controller? solenoid?

Thanks,

Scott

Tags
alltrax 500, pds controller, stopped running
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO