lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-25-2018, 12:22 AM   #1
dezrcr822
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default g1 wheel and tire fitment

I scored some polaris quad wheels that are 10x8.5 and bolt right on to my 82. Im getting ready to lift my cart by 6 inches with a home made lift and would like to run 22x8-10 tires all around or may go slightly wider in the rear, like 22x11-10. Can I run this wheel and tire combo without having to stretch my front end? I will most likely run some kind of wheel spacer as well. What do you all think?
dezrcr822 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-25-2018, 08:38 AM   #2
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Default Re: g1 wheel and tire fitment

The G1 is pretty compact. You might have clearance issues in both the front and back. Usually the frame in front of the rear tire needs to be trimmed off. I probably have a thread on that one lol. The front, yeah you're likely going to need to move the front suspension up a couple inches. You can do this by fabricating a relocation of the upper suspension mounting points. Keep in mind this may change the angle of the tie rods, which will increase bump steer.

The G1 isn't a great candidate for big tires and big lifts because of it's compact width and wheelbase. The single a arm front suspension also doesn't like a lot of movement because of the camber issues, so stick with a good set of stock shocks. Any more than 2" of travel will cause major handling issues. Believe me, I've tried....

Lots of people have made lift kits for these, but none of them will increase their handling....unless they are a true double a arm suspension design.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 09:31 AM   #3
mikeasis
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezrcr822 View Post
I scored some polaris quad wheels that are 10x8.5 and bolt right on to my 82. Im getting ready to lift my cart by 6 inches with a home made lift and would like to run 22x8-10 tires all around or may go slightly wider in the rear, like 22x11-10. Can I run this wheel and tire combo without having to stretch my front end? I will most likely run some kind of wheel spacer as well. What do you all think?
off set of the wheels are going to be a big factor. right behind the front tires there is a flat brace for the floor that you will likely need to massage with a hammer. My G1 has a homemade lift (approx. 6 inches) with 25 x 10.5 x 12 tires. Rims off a club car carryall with a 1 inch spacer. I should have gotten the 2 inch spacers. again wheel offset. I have a set of wheels with better offset but have yet to mount them. FYI my steering sucks but I'm used to it.
mikeasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 11:43 AM   #4
dezrcr822
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Does the steering suck because of the 25 inch tires or is there something else? Also does your lift move the tires foward? I had my front lift all planned out but didnt account for moving the wheels foward. You sent me a link for spacers before and I had planned to use the 2 inch spacers. I guess I could go with a Jakes A-arm lift but dont really want to drop the scratch for it right now. Not sure of the offset on the Polaris wheels but I will measure them when I get home although they look pretty close to stock. Thanks for the info so far as I dont want to build/buy a bunch of stuff I cant use. I think 20 or 22 inch tires will give me the extra ground clearence im looking for but would prefer the 22's.
Old 09-25-2018, 06:40 PM   #5
mikeasis
Gone Wild
Yamaha

mine handles poorly because the geometry is off. When I got it I was much worse. it had one tie rod then a long center link connecting the other side and it was all over the place. I added a second tie rod and did some minor adjustments and it is a lot better but can bind up in tight spots. As far as I can tell they did not move anything forward.

Ive got plans to fix it but just havent done it yet.

I think with a 6 inch lift and 22s 8 inches wide you would be ok with the right wheel spacing. also not that after installing the 25 inch tires I had to remove the front bumper because the tires keep hitting it. I did weld up an Polaris side by side bumper after that.
mikeasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 07:14 AM   #6
gray horse
Gone Wild

Yamaha

On my G1 I moved the entire frontend forward 4" and my 6" lift is 2" wider than stock. I run 2" spacers on all 4 wheels. I redid the tie rods and moved their mounting points from the bottom of the spindles up 6" to the top. Not running as big a tire as you're talking about but I have no bump steer problems.
True, a double A-arm setup would be better but if the front end is done right you shouldn't have a problem. JMHO
gray horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 06:33 PM   #7
dezrcr822
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Checked back spacing yesterday and the Polaris wheels have a 1/4 inch less. So brings the wheel out more? Kind of what it looks like. Going to try the front tires from my wifes blaster and see what they look like as the tires om wanting to run are very similar. If they are a no go ill have to look into making my lift move the wheels foward.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha