lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-25-2018, 10:45 PM   #11
Ransom276
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 1998 ezgo txt high speed motor

When I originally got the cart the motor was bad and I ordered what was suppose to be stock replacement. I have had several txt series carts in past lifted and but stock running gear and never had any issues. So I figured if I did it as it specified for the upgrades it would run it fine but I’m learning different. Lol
Ransom276 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-25-2018, 11:08 PM   #12
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

I would recommend a 400 to 500 amp controller.

From the specs I could find, your solenoid is rated for 100 amp continuous, 400 amps inrush. Someone else can answer this, but inrush is typically a very short event. Worst case, you drive it until it dies.

The next possible "bottleneck" is the FNR. Once you upgrade the controller, I'd recommend checking it for heat - which is what kills them - after driving fully loaded (passengers). I'd drive it a short distance, check, then gradually drive farther until you have driven a typical days worth of driving. Check each stud with an IR gun if you have one, or lick your finger and quickly touch each stud. This is also something you can drive until failure.

Go to the website I mentioned earlier, and read up. He has a lot of tutorials, and those of us who followed that guidance, don't end up buying and replacing things over and over.

Read up on what's available these days, as far as controllers. Personally, I'd just bite the bullet and buy controller, FNR or reversing contactor, and solenoid, as a package deal. Then you're done. If you ever plan on upgrading to 48 volts, ScottyB sells solenoids that will work at both voltages. Not sure about reversing contactors, but I bought his HD FNR, and it never gets the slightest bit warm, and I drive in a somewhat hilly place with four adults, two extra batteries, and a rear seat - which are equivalent to two thin adults.

BTW, I'm just a customer and not a paid cheerleader.

Search this site and you'll see quite a number of endorsements.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 11:33 PM   #13
Ransom276
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for your help. I hsve already looked on that website and I’m going to check around some more. So far this F/R switch dosnt get hot. A little warm but no heating issues. I checked wires and everything I could even checked the controller to see if it was getting hot but could find any heating issues what so ever. Before I upgraded the wires and got it to what the motor specs suggested it was obvious what was heating up. Cables and everything in between lol. Thanks again!!
Old 11-25-2018, 11:41 PM   #14
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

I've never heard of a series motor with any type of thermal protection, except for custom built. Nothing "off the shelf". More than likely, your controller is going to thermal shutdown. I never had that happen, but you have MUCH bigger tires than stock.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 11:42 PM   #15
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

23" tires and a speed motor... Need I say more?
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 11:43 PM   #16
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

The stock "HD 400a" controller is notorious for doing the thermal shutdown. And it will only get worse (with this motor, or any other motor). Get a new 400, or 500a Alltrax controller and get on with it. Plan on a different motor for it. Stock controller does this even with street tires, so no surprise with your current configuration.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 08:27 AM   #17
Ransom276
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the input guys!! I’m going to order a controller today. The cart runs 22 mph now will I pick up any more speed or torque?
Old 11-26-2018, 08:39 AM   #18
bobbycason
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ransom276 View Post
Thanks for the input guys!! I’m going to order a controller today. The cart runs 22 mph now will I pick up any more speed or torque?
Just saw in the announcement section if you order one from ScottyB today for cyber Monday sale you get a free voltmeter.
bobbycason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 09:54 AM   #19
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Probably a little torque, and it's adjustable to your liking for throttle feel and acceleration.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 01:33 PM   #20
Ransom276
Not Yet Wild

Ok so I have read what you guys have put out there for me and called and talked to several different dealers/technicians. I’m getting mixed reviews for the most part. I just spent about 400 bucks couple weeks ago and upgrade wire to 4aeg and heavy duty f/r switch’s a solenoid. Motor is less than year old. What I’m trying to figure out I guess if I go with the alltrax 500 amp I’m seeing it is asking for 2awg wire everything else to be upgraded as well. I’m not looking to get any faster just dependable and not having to spend another 1000 bucks as I have already spent that just replacing parts because I was sent the wrong motor to begin with. Will a 400 alltrax work with the setup I hsve now and be dependable. All it is used for is riding around leisurely on a big farm that is mostly flat land and on paths not in the corn rows or mud. Lol if I go with the 500 alltrax with the set up I have now will it be to much and burn up things. 23 inch tire rear back seat Nidec motor 4awg wire throughout cart. I think one of the guys in gear said my doleniode was rated at 100 amps but would do 400 inrush. Thanks

Tags
high speed motor
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO