lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-23-2019, 09:06 AM   #11
Bubba78
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Rear end sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeDawgZ71 View Post
Don't do it. It's looking like motor replacement may be the option of the future. I don't have any more guide rings and I'm having a hard time getting more. I think they're in the discontinuation phase.
I see a few on ebay I might give that a try. Are they glued to the shaft?
Bubba78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-23-2019, 10:15 AM   #12
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

If it's a guide ring motor it Has to have the guide ring. The ring keeps the armature centered on the transaxle input shaft because the rest of the splines in the coupler are too short. If you remove the ring the armature will wobble all over the place and wreck the motor and possibly the input shaft.

The ring is glued in, and has a small snap ring to hold it in place. I've done a couple and I just use blue lock-tite to secure the new ring, put the snap ring back in and wait overnight for that to cure before installing the motor.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 11:34 AM   #13
Bubba78
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairtax4me View Post
If it's a guide ring motor it Has to have the guide ring. The ring keeps the armature centered on the transaxle input shaft because the rest of the splines in the coupler are too short. If you remove the ring the armature will wobble all over the place and wreck the motor and possibly the input shaft.

The ring is glued in, and has a small snap ring to hold it in place. I've done a couple and I just use blue lock-tite to secure the new ring, put the snap ring back in and wait overnight for that to cure before installing the motor.
So if it's making a sound it's shot for sure? I saw a few posts that people suggested those rings dont ware-out, the glue just comes lose.

I'm just trying to get a good understanding on what to do before I do it. lol
Bubba78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 12:21 PM   #14
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Well first you should do as Tahoe said, remove the motor from the cart and verify that you have a guide ring motor. A 1995 cart with original motor Should have a guide ring, but there's no guarantee it's original when the cart is 24 years old.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 03:54 PM   #15
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Quote:
^ What he said
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 07:24 PM   #16
DennisWitt
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Well first you should do as Tahoe said, remove the motor from the cart and verify that you have a guide ring motor. A 1995 cart with original motor Should have a guide ring, but there's no guarantee it's original when the cart is 24 years old.

We have a similar sound on a 97 DS. Would that year be a guide ring motor?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
DennisWitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car