lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-28-2019, 10:06 PM   #1
bwarejs
Not Yet Wild

Default 83 gas marathon idles but wont rev need help

Got a come to find out 83 marathon with the robins 244cc from my grandpa. Had sat for about 2 yrs in his shed. To my surprise it would start after a lil tinkering. Then if just went to where it runs but doesn’t rev. Thought it was f/r lever cause seemed like sometimes if ya moved it a little it would rev and then be ready to go. So i replaced all wiring, new plug, ignitor, voltage regulator, forward reverse control, carb, added 4in lift and new tires. Well been reading on here so started checking things, tightened up the gap a lil on the plug, took muffler off and cut a whole in the side and got what pieces of what looked like pipe out of it. Tapped the metal back down. Put a new gasket on the exhaust at the motor. And Bamn while it was sitting on stands it would fire up, push the gas and it would rev. Well today put a new belt on starter and drive belt. Took it off the stands and rode it around several times today. Not long rides but maybe 10 or 15 min around the yard. Went to take the kids on another ride and the fuel line broke at the carb. So went got a new inline filter and connected it back to the carb. The new in line filter was bigger than the other one that was on there but it’s full of fuel, cart was converted to electric fuel pump befor i got it. Fired the cart up and back to basically just idling and not raving up to engage the clutches and move. I’m at a loss of what to do next. Could it be the exhaust, only 3 things I haven’t done is rebuild the motor, change the pulsar coil, and the ignition coil. Being it starts up so easy didn’t feel the ignition coil needed to be messed with seems to be getting good fire.

Any help would be appreciated. Ive got about 700 in the cart now in parts and hate to do all the work I’ve done and not get it running right.
bwarejs is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-28-2019, 11:51 PM   #2
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 83 gas marathon idles but wont rev need help

It's not really idling. It's just turning on the starter. My guess would be crankshaft seals, but that is only a guess. You should start with checking compression. Just so you know, seals have no affect on compression. That is just a starting point.
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 05:36 AM   #3
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

It could also be an intermittent spark problem.
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 07:21 AM   #4
bwarejs
Not Yet Wild

I know it doesnt idle. But it is running because it will bogg down a lil when ya push the gas. Compression is good. Imaybe it is just a spark issue. Guess will change the pulsar coil and ignition coil and see what happens
Old 08-07-2019, 05:52 AM   #5
bwarejs
Not Yet Wild

replaced ignition coil and pulsar runs good now. thanks guys
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO