lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-12-2020, 10:29 AM   #1
Texas Made
Not Yet Wild

Default 2018 Precident Front Hubs and Spindles

I purchased this cart new about a year ago. At the time of purchase, it already had a moderate lift installed with 22" tires.

I noticed while rotating the tires the other day that the nuts holding the hubs on the spindles were loose and that I had about a 1/4" play. I also noticed that the nut holding the hub on the spindle was just a regular nut. There is no lock washer or castle nut and cotter pin like I would have expected to see to keep the nut from backing off. Since you can't tighten this nut too much without binding the bearings, I was wondering if it would come loose again.

Sure enough after just a few miles, the hub seems to have play in it again. Like I indicated earlier, I don't feel like I can crank down on this nut too much without binding the spindle bearings. Is this not the case? If so what can I do to keep this from happening again? Should I try lock-tite? Or is there supposed to be a lock nut or castle nut that the installer of the lift left off? It should also be noted that there was no dust cap either. The rim had has a closed decorative cap, but no dust cap on the end of the spindle. Is this normal?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Texas Made is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-12-2020, 11:46 AM   #2
Teslet
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2018 Precident Front Hubs and Spindles

can you use a castle nut? i.e. is there a hole for the cotter key...if there is get the proper nut, and cotter key. do NOT run that cart without the proper nut, If doesn't have a hole for the key then use a big nylock nut. I just repaired a cart that lost a front wheel it isn't cheap and the guy driving broke his collar bone
Teslet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 01:04 PM   #3
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

It’s supposed to be a flanged lock nut but the lift spindles probably came with something different and the installer didn’t bother to keep the original ones. Or it’s possible the spindles have a different thread on the end than the original stock spindles had.

The bearings should not be “tight” when the spindle nut is tightened. These are supposed to have a spacer between the bearings inside the hub, and the spindle nut should be tightened to about 60ft lbs if I remember right. The hub should spin freely even with the spindle nut tight. If the spacer between the bearings is gone, you can not properly tighten the spindle nut and damage to the bearings and spindles will be the result.

It sounds like the bearings are bad or the hubs are damaged from the spindle nut not being properly tightened.

I looked it up in the parts manual and that is originally an M14x2 thread Flanged lock nut. Can be seen here: https://www.revolutiongolfcars.com/p...-car-102357701
David has them, give him a call and ask.

If your bearings are damaged or if the spacer in the center has been removed, it will probably be best to replace the entire hub.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 02:14 PM   #4
Texas Made
Not Yet Wild

Gentlemen,

Thank you for the quick responses and good information. The cart is at a vacation home, so I will take the wheel off again and see what is there this weekend. I do not recall a flanged nut as shown in the link Fairtax posted, and there definitely was not a dust cap as shown either. It certainly was not a lock nut of any type (ie nylock or distorted thread).

Whatever nut was there, I definitely didn't torque it to 60 ft lbs. I will take my torque wrench and see if I can get to this level and still have a free spinning hub. If not then I will look into new hubs.

Thanks again.
Texas Made is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 02:47 PM   #5
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Had to dig around a lot to find it, but the torque on the spindle lock nut is 50 ft-lbs from the Club car service manual. With the aftermarket spindle the thread may be different, but you may be able to use a 5/8" lock washer to help hold the nut in place.
Another option is to find another nut with the same thread and use it as a back-up lock nut. It's also OK to use a dab of blue threadlock on the nut to help keep it from spinning off.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car