lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-05-2020, 12:06 PM   #1
seney2
Not Yet Wild

Unhappy 1988 Club Car won't do anything PLEASE HELP

I have a 1988 Club Car 36 volt 5 solenoid resistor cart. That won't do anything.

I have 36.5 volts at the batteries.
I have 36.5 at the key
I have 36.5 at the #1 solenoid

I have replaced F&R switch, all solenoids, all micro switches and battery cables. Cleaned and inspected all wires.

I jumped the motor with 12 volt and it works

No click at solenoids in cart, but they all click and function (continuity) on the bench.

When I plug the charger in to cart (not into wall outlet) it instantly fries the charger receptacle fuse on the cart.

PLEASE HELP I AM PULL MY HAIR OUT ON THIS ONE - Thanks in advance
seney2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-05-2020, 12:27 PM   #2
seney2
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 1988 Club Car won't do anything PLEASE HELP

When I do a voltage test at my + battery pack and I touch ground to the solenoid mounting bracket I am getting 25.6 volts. Should that be a ground???
Old 06-05-2020, 02:13 PM   #3
Budule
Gone Wild

Club Car

you have a wire wrong somewhere....charge port maybe....go back over the wiring diagram in the stickies and start posting pics of your wiring....and 36.5 volts is a DEAD PACK....
Budule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 02:36 PM   #4
fsu1tm
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budule View Post
you have a wire wrong somewhere....charge port maybe....go back over the wiring diagram in the stickies and start posting pics of your wiring....and 36.5 volts is a DEAD PACK....
What he said
fsu1tm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 02:49 PM   #5
seney2
Not Yet Wild

I have traced the wires with a diagram 4 times. I have even unplugged the charge port from the system still nothing. The rubber grommets that hold the solenoids to the mounting plate are deteriorated, could that cause it? When I do a volt test on my battery pack, positive to battery and touch negative to the solenoid mount it shows voltage. Is it maybe ground itself out? I didn't think the frame should have a ground?

I will also remove the charger receptacle tmrw and see it it's melted and take some pictures.
Old 06-05-2020, 03:06 PM   #6
Lochlin
Gone Wild

Yes, that solenoid bank is supposed to be insulated. Your deteriorated rubber grommets actually go from side of the mount to the other so that the mounting bolts are insulated as well. I had this same issue with a vintage Pargo cart but its set up is pretty much the same as Club Car resistor carts.

There should be no voltage anywhere on that cart other than within cabling. As you are getting current through the frame indicates your issue. Insulating that solenoid bank would be a good place to look for unwanted draw to the frame.
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 03:06 PM   #7
seney2
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budule View Post
It's a 36 volt cart. Why would 36.5 indicate a dead pack? Haven't been able to charge it since I bought the cart.
Old 06-05-2020, 03:15 PM   #8
seney2
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lochlin View Post
Yes, that solenoid bank is supposed to be insulated. Your deteriorated rubber grommets actually go from side of the mount to the other so that the mounting bolts are insulated as well. I had this same issue with a vintage Pargo cart but its set up is pretty much the same as Club Car resistor carts.

There should be no voltage anywhere on that cart other than within cabling. As you are getting current through the frame indicates your issue. Insulating that solenoid bank would be a good place to look for unwanted draw to the frame.
Thank you.. I'm off to the hardware store for new grommets.
Old 06-05-2020, 03:32 PM   #9
fsu1tm
Gone Wild

Club Car

See the attached chart about the batteries. 36.5V is not technically dead but you are at the 50% state of charge (SOC) level recommended not to cross to protect the batteries.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Johnnie_BChart.jpg (116.7 KB, 0 views)
fsu1tm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 03:58 PM   #10
Budule
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by seney2 View Post
It's a 36 volt cart. Why would 36.5 indicate a dead pack? Haven't been able to charge it since I bought the cart.

you can charge them 2 at a time with a 12 volt charger....until you get this figured out....
Budule is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car