lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-16-2020, 01:41 PM   #1
itembeli
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default My New Cart (2018 club car precedent) poor battery range

Hi All,

New here but have been browsing a bit while looking for my first cart purchase! I picked up a 2018 precedent as a deal with questionable batteries.

After having it for a week and trying to cycle the batteries I am coming to the conclusion they are toast.

I have a stable voltage of 49.6V two hours after removing charger. I can get about 2-3 miles before I start to get into 50% charge territory.

I have not picked up a hydrometer yet but I am imagining it will just validate the toasted batteries.

Long story short, does anyone have any success stories ‘rejuvenating’ batteries? I could not really find any and before I pull the trigger on a new set I thought I would throw it out there.
Preface, I am not looking to make them new again. However if I could get around 5-6 miles I may end up waiting til next year to replace.

Any thoughts before condemning the pack? Thanks!

//Anthony
itembeli is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-16-2020, 01:51 PM   #2
Icky
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Re: My New Cart (2018 club car precedent) poor battery range

Many moons ago I used some kit that I bought on Ebay and got about 6 months extra time but that is all.
Icky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 03:08 PM   #3
itembeli
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Was it one of the liquid kits that you put in the batter itself? Or an electronic kit?

I had already purchased an electronic desulfator before I knew the batter condition.
Old 06-16-2020, 04:31 PM   #4
Down South
Growing In Grace

Club Car

What brand batteries? Are they date stamped on the (-) posts? What's the voltage of the pack and each battery after full charge and rest period of 12 hrs?

If it's just one or two batteries, you could purchase a couple used good batteries to get you by for the time being.

Batteries should not be bad in two years unless severely abused.
Down South is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 05:41 PM   #5
itembeli
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I’ll have to check the date codes but they are Pd+ I think this is the stock club car batteries.

Pack voltage was 49.6v (connected to charger overnight, then checked in the afternoon) haven’t let it charge and sit for longer yet. I will try that tomorrow after it’s finished this charging cycle.
I can’t recall from memory what all of the batteries were reading but I believe the max difference was .10v or .12v

Also I’m using an ERIC charger and it was charging at 55.0v after about an hour plugged into the cart this cycle.A I have seen some other threads saying 60v is where it should be charging. Unfortunately my ammeter is broken so not sure how many amps the charger is actually putting out.
I made a chart so I will write individual voltage down tomorrow.

Thanks for the help so far!
Old 06-17-2020, 07:01 PM   #6
itembeli
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks for the help everyone, I have decided to replace the batteries...my wife said today that its not even worth it with this range..so I need to hurry up and prove her wrong for this purchase

Long story short there seems to be a few batteries that drop under load causing my issues. Also the date codes on the batteries were sometime from 2017, so I assume they were treated poorly despite the watering system.

Also ordered a meter from carts unlimited so I can get some visibility on the new pack. Anyhow, I am planning to pick up a set of Trojans tomorrow morning, and thought I would update my thread, thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg BDED5A78-8D02-4BC0-B08B-4EFD2E31A60D.jpeg (104.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 06-17-2020, 07:24 PM   #7
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

The PD+ batteries are not known for their longevity, but they get a rough life on golf courses.

Ditch the watering system. They get clogged and prevent proper filling of the cells. They also act as fuses that trap hydrogen gas emitted from the batteries, and if they find a spark they light every battery off like a little bomb under your seat.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 08:11 PM   #8
itembeli
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Whoa that sounds scary I remember reading something about a time that happened to someone...not sure if it was on here or not.

Good advice, I will ditch the watering system! It looks super rough actually after getting the batteries out. Brownish color electrolyte in a few of the batteries and the watering system was sitting right there in it.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car