lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-20-2020, 10:13 AM   #1
DonH57
Getting Wild
Yamaha

Default Clutch Slipping?

We have a 2013 Yamaha gas YDRA. Sometimes when starting out the clutch doesn't immediately engage and makes a squealling sound. Is this from the primary or secondary clutch failing? I did locate grease fittings on both and try'd greasing them to see if it helped. It also doesn't do it all the time. Just looking for suggestions. Thanks
DonH57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-20-2020, 10:20 AM   #2
Dave in VA
maintaining a low profile

Yamaha

Default Re: Clutch Slipping?

The quality and condition of the belt is important...
Dave in VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 12:34 PM   #3
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in VA View Post
The quality and condition of the belt is important...
Ditto

Once you know the belt isn't the issue, it might be time to look at the clutches. If you want, post a few good pics of your clutches, maybe we can see something.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 10:20 AM   #4
DonH57
Getting Wild
Yamaha

I will take a picture first chance I get. The belt is fairly new, maybe a year old.
Old 06-21-2020, 12:00 PM   #5
Dave in VA

Yamaha

An OEM Yamaha belt would be minimum quality to use. Plowmans and Gboost have better ones. Aftermarket belts usually turn into crap after a short period of time.
Old 11-07-2020, 10:17 AM   #6
DonH57
Getting Wild
Yamaha

I have since replaced and installed a new OEM belt. I greased the zerk fittings on the clutches. It seemed to make a little difference at first but is still doing it. I guess the only way to determine if it's the primary or secondary clutch would be to put the rear wheels off the ground, remove the seat and see which clutch is not engaging every time. This has been intermittent.
Old 11-07-2020, 10:39 AM   #7
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH57 View Post
I have since replaced and installed a new OEM belt. I greased the zerk fittings on the clutches. It seemed to make a little difference at first but is still doing it. I guess the only way to determine if it's the primary or secondary clutch would be to put the rear wheels off the ground, remove the seat and see which clutch is not engaging every time. This has been intermittent.
Watching the clutches will help. Sometimes the clutches act differently when there is a load on them, like driving up a hill etc. Do you notice any difference when going uphill vs downhill? Or any difference when more people are on the cart vs. empty?
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 10:33 AM   #8
Dave in VA

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH57 View Post
Are you sure that the starter belt isn't a bit loose and causing the squealing?
Old 11-09-2020, 10:30 AM   #9
DonH57
Getting Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by slonomo View Post
Watching the clutches will help. Sometimes the clutches act differently when there is a load on them, like driving up a hill etc. Do you notice any difference when going uphill vs downhill? Or any difference when more people are on the cart vs. empty?
There is no noticeable difference going up or down hill. Our driveway is sloped and from dead stop it will squeal at the start of movement and sometimes require the cart to get to the street before catching. Maybe today I'll look at. This occurs regardless of number of people.
Old 11-09-2020, 10:31 AM   #10
DonH57
Getting Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in VA View Post
Are you sure that the starter belt isn't a bit loose and causing the squealing?
I'll double check that. Thanks
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha