lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-29-2020, 01:38 PM   #1
Jammy
Getting Wild
Yamaha

Default What speed @ what rpm?

I just did my first run with tach and gps speedometer. I am very surprised and not sure if my get is working well.

1500 rpm=3mph
3000 rpm=10mph
3900rpm =13mph

3950 is max of my setup and I expected faster ground speeds. It is a completely stock cart, guess it's time to upgrade it for more speed, I'd like to see 17-20mph.

How do these numbers compare to others carts?
Jammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-29-2020, 01:50 PM   #2
Dabble Inn
Nincompoop Club Member

E-Z-GO

Default Re: What speed @ what rpm?

I don't know what buggy you have but 3900rpm for 13 mph sounds about right for a 2cycle being stock and governed
Dabble Inn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 01:57 PM   #3
Jammy
Getting Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabble Inn View Post
I don't know what buggy you have but 3900rpm for 13 mph sounds about right for a 2cycle being stock and governed
Not a G1 2 cycle. It is a 4 cycle, 1988 Yamaha G2A (J38 076211)

Governor screw all the way in.....
I just thought it was kinda slow for this cart. Thanks.

UPDATE: I used this site to calculate gear ratio of 16.277... sounds like clutches are not doing their job...

http://www.advanced-ev.com/Calculato...Size/?rpm=3950
Old 11-29-2020, 02:11 PM   #4
Dabble Inn
Nincompoop Club Member

E-Z-GO

I used to have an 82 G1 that was way slow like that, I bypassed the Gov by simply re-routing the throttle cable directly to the carb. Top speed was 18ish and a lot more responsive throughout the power band....

One thing you don't want to do is forcefully move the Gov lever on the differential, I've heard horror stories of breaking a plastic gear in there.

EDIT; Ooops you must have edited your post, or I didn't notice yours is a 4cycle. I don't know much about those
Dabble Inn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 03:16 PM   #5
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

It sounds right for the golf course lol. I'm betting the gov is set way low. Clutches and belt could be worn too, thats always a factor.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 03:35 PM   #6
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Have you put it on jack stands and checked the clutches. My G 14 when stock that has the same gearing would do in the 23 mph range @ 4500 rpms. Again I had the gov tie wrapped so it did not cut in.
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 03:39 PM   #7
Jammy
Getting Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by slonomo View Post
It sounds right for the golf course lol. I'm betting the gov is set way low. Clutches and belt could be worn too, thats always a factor.
Well,I live in a Fishing community, and we use carts to haul Fishing gear to the river... I'm not wanting to break any land speed records with this thing. It starts right up without choke and runs ok, maybe a bit on the rich side, but always starts and goes...like a gas cart should. Not a lot of movement till I get to 2500 rpm, then there is only 1400rpm to max. Confused....

I just did the governor mode where the spring is placed on top of the bracket with carb cable, seemed to lower rpm to 3800 on a short ride. Also the rear clutch is hot to the touch, differential is cool, and drive clutch only closes enough to bring belt within 5/8 of the top. Should it ride all the way to the top edge? What causes it to stop short of the top?
Old 11-29-2020, 04:17 PM   #8
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Sounds like a badly worn belt, or the wrong belt. The bare minimum belt you should buy is a yamaha oem belt, cheap belts are a total waste of money . Your correct yamaha belt part number would be J55-G6241
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 04:51 PM   #9
Jammy
Getting Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
Sounds like a badly worn belt, or the wrong belt. The bare minimum belt you should buy is a yamaha oem belt, cheap belts are a total waste of money . Your correct yamaha belt part number would be J55-G6241
Thanks cgtech for the info, I took a photo of existing belt and it matches your reply. This is the belt on it..

Last edited by Jammy; 11-29-2020 at 04:55 PM.. Reason: Word of appreciation!!!!!
Old 11-29-2020, 05:04 PM   #10
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

That belt looks good, but the aftermarket spring may me too stiff for the clutch to fully shift.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha