lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-18-2022, 03:14 PM   #11
Aggiesdm
Getting Wild

Default Re: 2001 CC Pioneer FE350D Clockwise Rebuild

Got the carburetor installed and the cooling shields as well as the other small bolt on item. Just waiting on the "figure 8" o-ring for the oil filter attachment. My Club Car dealer has had it on order for 2 weeks. After that comes in, I'm going to bench test it and hope that it runs :)

This has been a fun project so far. I've never actually rebuilt an engine before, so this was a nice way to get into it with lower stakes.

Next I'll be cracking open the transaxle and attempting to fix the "lack of reverse" issue, but I'm feeling much more confident now!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 42130847-6BC6-4DB3-8B13-46C092B72F5F.jpg (201.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 6827BCDC-2BD3-44DF-9D7A-87C4F2BABB37.jpg (221.4 KB, 0 views)
Aggiesdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-01-2022, 10:15 PM   #12
Aggiesdm
Getting Wild

Need some help here: I was never able to bench test the rebuilt engine because I didn't have a way of free-wheeling the clutch to get it going, so I trusted my rebuild-approach and went ahead and installed the engine back into the cart to utilize the starter.

Well, unfortunately it won't start. It's getting gas and spark (I just grounded the spark plug while turning it over) but not even acting like it wants to start. Just chugging and chugging.

I did a compression test and only had like 65psi. I put in new rings and deglazed the cylinder and everything was to-spec with OEM parts, so I'm wondering about 3 things:

1. Could I have installed the cam at the wrong timing mark? If I was off by 1 tooth, could that cause the lower compression and not starting? I was pretty meticulous about it, but I'm doubting myself now.

1a. Would the new rings/honing cause low compression until they get seated. This is a key start motor, so its only supposed to have like 78psi I believe.

2. I had the head rebuilt at a reputable machine shop around her, but could there be an issue with the head? They said they lapped the valves everything appeared to be good, so??

3. Is there something obvious that I might have missed when hooking it up?

Any ideas? I know its a long shot.

I'm just stumped and hate the idea of taking the engine back out. In this Pioneer, you have to drop the entire rear end to get the motor out because the structural bracing won't allow it to come out of the seat area. Its real pain.
Old 10-01-2022, 10:29 PM   #13
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

It’s hard to be one tooth off. The marks would be obviously too far apart.

Is there fuel in the filters? On a first start it takes 20-30 seconds of cranking just to get enough fuel through the filters and into the carb to fill the bowl where it will start pulling fuel through the main jet.
Try a squirt of starting fluid in the carb throat and see if it will kick.
With brand new rings your compression will be lower until they seat in, but you can add a squirt of some heavy oil like 10w40 into the cylinder through the spark plug hole and that can help the rings seal better.
Seems to me like lack of fuel so check the plug to see if it’s getting wet. If it’s dry then oh need to figure out why fuel isn’t getting in.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 10:43 PM   #14
Aggiesdm
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairtax4me View Post

Is there fuel in the filters? On a first start it takes 20-30 seconds of cranking just to get enough fuel through the filters and into the carb to fill the bowl where it will start pulling fuel through the main jet.
With brand new rings your compression will be lower until they seat in, but you can add a squirt of some heavy oil like 10w40 into the cylinder through the spark plug hole and that can help the rings seal better.
Seems to me like lack of fuel so check the plug to see if it’s getting wet. If it’s dry then oh need to figure out why fuel isn’t getting in.
Thanks for the quick reply. After rethinking it and reading your reply, I think it’s gotta be fuel. It’s getting into the filters but spark plug isn’t wet at all.

I unscrewed the little drain screw on the side of the carb-bowl and it let out about 1 drop, so im gonna Pull it and see what’s going on.

I’m gonna try some starting fluid and the oil trick and see if I can get it going. Then figure out the fuel supply issue.
I’ll report back! Thanks all
Old 10-01-2022, 10:53 PM   #15
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Pour a teaspoon or so worth of gas in the spark plug hole, install the spark plug and try to fire it off. If it sputters or runs for a few seconds, you know it’s fuel.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 11:18 PM   #16
Aggiesdm
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
Pour a teaspoon or so worth of gas in the spark plug hole, install the spark plug and try to fire it off. If it sputters or runs for a few seconds, you know it’s fuel.
Cool. I’ll try it.

Thanks
Old 10-02-2022, 10:20 AM   #17
Aggiesdm
Getting Wild

Quote:

It worked!!! Used some starting fluid and it cranked right up! I took the carb off and cleaned it and it’s running but won’t idle very well. Just need to play with that , but ultimately it running and driving!

Does anyone recognize this bracket? I can’t find any pics where I removed it and it was 2 months ago, so I’m fuzzy. It’s clearly to hold a cable but just can’t find where.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AA34F1C5-9BDB-473D-AAB9-195212E4ACC8.jpg (296.6 KB, 0 views)
Old 10-02-2022, 01:35 PM   #18
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Probably the float just stuck. Glad you finally got it running!
That holds the governor cable that runs to the carb and is supposed to bolt on under the exhaust pipe bracket.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 03:38 PM   #19
Aggiesdm
Getting Wild

Quote:
That holds the governor cable that runs to the carb and is supposed to bolt on under the exhaust pipe bracket.
Perfect. I had it labeled as “exhaust bracket”, but could not figure out where the heck it was supposed to go!!
Old 10-14-2022, 06:20 PM   #20
Aggiesdm
Getting Wild

Quote:
Well, hoping someone can give me some help, cuz I'm stumped. I got the cart running, but its developed a squeak/chirp from the engine (its not a belt) and it sounds like its coming from the head area. I checked compression and its down to under 40psi. It almost sounds like escaping pressure, like a quick whistling noise. Not sure what it could be, but I have a couple questions:

1. Could timing be off and its opening the exhaust valve too early?

2. Would the motor even run if the cam was 1 tooth off of timing?

Also, i ended up putting a new aftermarket clutch on the cart due to a bad idler bearing on the OEM clutch and the lack of availability of said bearing. Anyway, it seems to stay engaged even at idle speed, but if I slow the idle too much the engine dies. Wondering if my lack of compression could be causing the inability to idle at lower speeds?

Sorry for the lengthy post, but geez I'm frustrated. This started as a simple rebuild and has become a string of issues.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car