lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO > Lithium EZGO

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-31-2022, 03:27 PM   #1
twistr25
Not Yet Wild

Default Gear selector getting hot

Had a couple of previous posts, recently upgraded to 3 12v 100Ahr batteries, but I'm noticing now that my gear selector is getting hot and has that kind of electrical smell. I would have thought it would have gone away by now if there was any "new wire" effect, but it's still around. I am getting 40 volts to the switch. What things should I be checking for?

I assume there is a chassis ground either off the motor or controller, but should I be looking anywhere else? Trying to make sure I don't have a short too.
twistr25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-01-2023, 07:50 AM   #2
LukeL
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Gear selector getting hot

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistr25 View Post
Had a couple of previous posts, recently upgraded to 3 12v 100Ahr batteries, but I'm noticing now that my gear selector is getting hot and has that kind of electrical smell. I would have thought it would have gone away by now if there was any "new wire" effect, but it's still around. I am getting 40 volts to the switch. What things should I be checking for?

I assume there is a chassis ground either off the motor or controller, but should I be looking anywhere else? Trying to make sure I don't have a short too.

By gear selector I assume you mean rotary style forward/reverse switch? Are the cables that attach to it getting hot as well? It likely needs to be upgraded due to the other upgrades you’ve done to your cart. It’s possible that you may be able to clean or replace the contacts inside of it but at this point a reversing contactor may be your best upgrade.

And there is/should be NO chassis ground on an electric cart.
LukeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2023, 03:46 PM   #3
augiedoggy
Gone Wild

Would 3 12v 100ah batteries be an upgrade that would somehow cause more current to reach the motor or more resistance through the wiring/switch vs 6 6v batteries?
Are these lithium? What voltage did this cart start out as?.. Was the wiring connections cleaned when this was done? just wondering if there a poor connection somewhere causing resistance.

Unless a voltage change, bigger controller or motor has also been installed there should be no reason to cause increased current to be pulled through the switch.
augiedoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2023, 09:09 PM   #4
twistr25
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeL View Post
By gear selector I assume you mean rotary style forward/reverse switch? Are the cables that attach to it getting hot as well? It likely needs to be upgraded due to the other upgrades you’ve done to your cart. It’s possible that you may be able to clean or replace the contacts inside of it but at this point a reversing contactor may be your best upgrade.

And there is/should be NO chassis ground on an electric cart.
Yes, forward/reverse switch. Did a little more investigating and it is definitely coming from the cables going to/from the motor. Cable marked with D was super hot when I did some testing today. I did not clean or swap any connectors or cables in from the selector back towards the motor. I only updated the batteries. A few pictures added again.

Previous battery set was 6 6v lead acid batteries in series. I upgraded to 3 12v lithiums. I can't tell if anything is pulling any extra current, but all voltages seem legit. Maybe it needs upgraded cables too, just doesn't seem to make sense why since the total voltage bank is technically the same, but not my expertise either.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PXL_20230103_012731098.jpg (196.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg PXL_20230103_012735974.jpg (132.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg PXL_20230103_012830459.jpg (107.7 KB, 0 views)
twistr25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO > Lithium EZGO