lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-24-2023, 06:09 AM   #1
mzimme14
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Voltage reducer only coming on when in gear

I recently swapped my controller, solenoid, batteries, and F/R switch. Now, the only time my 12v accessories work is of I'm in forward or reverse. They all shut down in neutral.

I didn't touch the wiring on any electrical. Direct swap over to all the new components and the cart operates normal.

One previous problem I had was a bad microswitch on my F/R switch. I had to use a jumper to connect the 2 blue wires on the ms previously to get the cart to move.

Here's a link to the thread that shows this.. - https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=189402

The good microswitch is the only difference I can think of...

I thought I tapped into the key switch to tell the voltage converter to turn in, and then directly wired the other power and ground directly to the pack.

Any ideas?
mzimme14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-24-2023, 06:21 AM   #2
jasonojordan
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Voltage reducer only coming on when in gear

I would chase back the trigger switch for your converter and see where you tied it in. Obviously it must not be getting pack voltage when the cart is in N any longer. I would think you are on to something possibly though with the jumper no longer being there with a functioning switch.
jasonojordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2023, 07:15 AM   #3
augiedoggy
Gone Wild

It sounds like bypassing the microswitch did more than originally thought. Is it possible your solenoid was staying closed before with the microswitch bypassed? if you reducer was powered from the solenoid contacts this could be the cae.
augiedoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2023, 07:50 AM   #4
mzimme14
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedoggy View Post
It sounds like bypassing the microswitch did more than originally thought. Is it possible your solenoid was staying closed before with the microswitch bypassed? if you reducer was powered from the solenoid contacts this could be the cae.
I think anything is possible at this point.

I installed the reducer, and wires the + and - wires directly to the battery pack, then used the downstream key switch for the trigger wire to fire it up... or I thought I did anyway.

Is they key switch involved with the microswitches at all? I'll have to dig around here for a wiring diagram.

1994.5 Medalist. Previously 36v Series converted to 48v series.
Old 04-24-2023, 07:57 AM   #5
mzimme14
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Ok, I found the attached diagram.

MS2 is the microswitch that previously was jumped/bypassed. Seems that now it is closed when in gear, and is also in line with the key switch. This would make sense, since when I had the jumper on there it would have always been closed.

Prior to this new microswitch, as long as I had the key on, I could use my 12v accessories because I tapped into the green wire downstream of the key switch.

Seems that now I must have the key on, AND be in gear (forward or reverse) in order to activate my voltage reducer.

So if all of that is correct and I've identified the problem, next question is where do I tap into the circuit in order to require the key to be on for 12v accessories, but NOT require me to be in gear?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Wiring_Medalist_TXT_94.5-07.pdf (392.7 KB, 0 views)
Old 04-24-2023, 08:07 AM   #6
jasonojordan
Gone Wild

Club Car

Does the red wire coming into MS2 have power all the time other then when the charger is plug is inserted? Kinda looks that way?

If that is the case you may end up having to change how you switch your reducer on and off entirely to an accessory switch or just know that you lose your accessory power when in N and just not put the cart in N?

The capacitors in the reducer should be large enough that you will not lose power just from flipping between F and R if you do not dewell on the N position.
Old 04-24-2023, 08:19 AM   #7
mzimme14
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonojordan View Post
Does the red wire coming into MS2 have power all the time other then when the charger is plug is inserted? Kinda looks that way?

If that is the case you may end up having to change how you switch your reducer on and off entirely to an accessory switch or just know that you lose your accessory power when in N and just not put the cart in N?

The capacitors in the reducer should be large enough that you will not lose power just from flipping between F and R if you do not dewell on the N position.
I don't think I can handle not putting the cart in neutral. Every time I go from F to R or R to F, it's going to go into neutral. Wouldn't be a huge deal with the headlight/tail lights, but the stereo shutting off every single time will annoy the ever living crap out of me. Having to reconnect BT, losing all the EQ settings, etc.
Old 04-24-2023, 08:38 AM   #8
jasonojordan
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzimme14 View Post
I don't think I can handle not putting the cart in neutral. Every time I go from F to R or R to F, it's going to go into neutral. Wouldn't be a huge deal with the headlight/tail lights, but the stereo shutting off every single time will annoy the ever living crap out of me. Having to reconnect BT, losing all the EQ settings, etc.
Like I said as long as you are shifting direction directly and not dwelling on the N position the capacitors in the reducer would hold power long enough I think. Obviously your reducer may be different the mine and you will need to test that theory.
Old 04-24-2023, 08:49 AM   #9
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

The flow of power to the circuit starts at the reed switch then goes to the micro on the fnr, then to the key switch hence why when you shift it you lose power at the key switch. You could rewire it such that it went to the key switch first and then to the fnr.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_0001.jpeg (100.6 KB, 0 views)
kgsc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2023, 08:53 AM   #10
jasonojordan
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgsc View Post
The flow of power to the circuit starts at the reed switch then goes to the micro on the fnr, then to the key switch hence why when you shift it you lose power at the key switch. You could rewire it such that it went to the key switch first and then to the fnr.
Good idea.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO