lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-06-2023, 11:36 PM   #1
tgehman
Not Yet Wild

Cool Easy DIY RXV pedal-mounted brake light switch

I discovered a simple way to install a brake pedal-mounted brake light switch for an Ezgo RXV. I used the same model brake switch already on the pedal assembly. Link: https://www.amazon.com/10L0L-Golf-Br.../dp/B00VTCQBK6. It's way better than the ugly foot pad and way easier than using the controller driven brake light output.

On updated models of the RXV (2012+ I think), the pedal return stopper bracket (black) has holes drilled and threaded on the top. Seeing this, I planned to make my own custom brake pedal status/brake like activation switch using a small micro switch and a bracket I'd need to fabricate. Then I realized the existing emergency brake switch (the gray plunger switch at the front of the brake assembly) would be better than a micro switch, so I dug one out of my parts box and whaddaya know, the holes lined up and switch was positioned perfectly! I found some screws (I'm guessing 3mm) to attach it using the factory holes in the stopper bracket. After that, just cut off the factory connector and wire the red leads to your brake light circuit. For aftermarket wiring harnesses, this would wire directly into the foot pad leads (usually yellow and red from what I've seen).

Note The red leads are normally closed which in this case is correct because the "normal" resting state of the pedal would cause it to be normally open. Therefore when the pedal is pressed, the switch closes and completes the brake light circuit.

I'm sure others have known this for years but I've never found the info online so I hope this helps someone.

TLDR, if you have the pedal bumper bracket like in the pic, you can order another OEM Ezgo brake switch and use it for an external brake light activation switch instead of the crappy foot pads or messing with relays for the controller driven brake light output.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screenshot 2023-05-06 232714.png (1.14 MB, 0 views)
tgehman is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-07-2023, 05:55 AM   #2
ojo
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Easy DIY RXV pedal-mounted brake light switch

Nice job... i had to know this in 2018, when i startet to build a street legal (RXV) cart. Finally found a similar solution with a small furniture switch, attached in the same area. Works absolutely fine since then.
ojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2023, 03:53 PM   #3
trevorg7
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

tgehman - thanks for this post, good stuff. I am going to convert my brake foot pad for this switch. The switch appears to have 4 wires, do you combine the two red leads with the existing foot pad red lead and the combine the brown with the existing foot pad yellow lead?

thanks in advance.

Trevor
trevorg7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2023, 10:10 AM   #4
trevorg7
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevorg7 View Post
tgehman - thanks for this post, good stuff. I am going to convert my brake foot pad for this switch. The switch appears to have 4 wires, do you combine the two red leads with the existing foot pad red lead and the combine the brown with the existing foot pad yellow lead?

thanks in advance.

Trevor
Maybe I just answered my own question...In looking at your picture more closely, it appears you terminated the brown wires and just used the two reds.

Let me know.

Thanks

Trevor
trevorg7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2023, 03:44 PM   #5
tgehman
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevorg7 View Post
Maybe I just answered my own question...In looking at your picture more closely, it appears you terminated the brown wires and just used the two reds.

Let me know.

Thanks

Trevor
That's correct - you only use the red wires, which aren't polarity sensitive. The brown pair opens the circuit when the pedal is pressed, the opposite of what you want for brake lights.
tgehman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake, light, rxv, switch
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO