lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-15-2010, 07:36 PM   #1
DUNBAR
Not Yet Wild

Default EZ-GO Golf Cart Sluggish on Hills

I bought this golf cart this week for under $600. I have no information on it other than it's a 2cyl motor and it's an EZ-GO golf cart.

I tried contacting EZ-GO and kept getting phone prompts galore. I called one authorized dealership and sure enough they want me to bring it in when I ask for any information.

First thing I'm looking for is identification of the cart. I located the serial number tag but nothing else. The tag on the underside of the seat is gone.

I bought this golf cart for one of my businesses to get around fairs and festivals. Problem is, this fellow told me that there's a problem with the golf cart pulling hills.

On flat ground, this golf cart can haul around me and another guy which is about 650 pounds easy. We took it on the road and sure enough; picked up speed and managed quite well.

But when you try to pull up any kind of hill, the golf cart struggles badly. At some point in a steep hill (more than 20% incline) it will shut down as it won't move.

The previous owner told me it was the "final drive" which is a clutch that's belt driven to the transmission. You would not know there's a problem with this golf cart on flat ground only.

The previous owner stated that he took it to a repair shop, guy who looked at it said the final drive was shot and could repair it for $400 and get it up back and running.

From the opinion of myself and another person that knows motors well, and without a compression test "yet" it was of my opinion of how fast the golf cart took off with almost 700 pounds on it on flat ground that the motor is fine, it's just the centrifugal clutch assembly in the final drive that's wore out.

I was also told that 2 cycle motors are banned, but I'm sure that using them still isn't the issue, it's the building of them.

Can anyone tell me how I can get some pertinent info on this golf cart so I can make sure when I start buying parts, that they are the right ones to follow the diagnosis?

My feeling is just what the previous owner is stating; clutch assembly isn't working which is causing it to be sluggish/stop going up any hills that require torque.
DUNBAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-17-2010, 07:04 PM   #2
DUNBAR
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: EZ-GO Golf Cart Sluggish on Hills

Since I posted this, the battery went dead. When I jumped it I instantly viewed arcing off the ground connection at the frame, with about 5 wires junctioning together.

I'm going to pull the battery out tonight and charge the battery, then take it over in the morning and get it tested to see if the battery is bad, something else.

I'm getting prices ranging up and down on this centrifugal clutch...someone told me I should take it apart first and make sure it is actually engaging, gunked up that is causing this issue.

Anyone know if this is a common failure part on these? I still haven't found any online parts diagram of my 2 cycle motor to know more about the mechanics of the cart.
Old 05-17-2010, 08:44 PM   #3
DUNBAR
Not Yet Wild

Exclamation Re: EZ-GO Golf Cart Sluggish on Hills

Old 05-17-2010, 08:57 PM   #4
mikesmotortoys
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

First check your engine compression. I would bet that your clutches and belts are shot

Factory EZGO - Bad Boy Buggy - Dixie Chopper Mowers
mikesmotortoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 12:57 AM   #5
gdunn
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

That cart is a lot like mine! It has a 244- robin, It will say on the sheet metal cover that is over the cylinder of the motor under the starter/gen. On the passenger side by your feet there is a tag with two sets of numbers on it. the last to numbers is the year. Mine is an 84

I think it is the bottom set of numbers on the tag.
Hope this helps.
http://bakerscartsupply.com/ezgo-parts.asp
http://golfcardiscounters.com/index.php
The motor is a 2-pg two stroke 244-cc robin
gdunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 02:39 PM   #6
DUNBAR
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the responses. This golf cart caught on fire thursday night.

It has too large a battery in it and the positive lead hit the front wall of the cart and burned the connection right off, along with some toxic foam.

Got that fixed/resolved and I had a deadline to get this cart ready for memorial day parade in my neck of the woods. Didn't get a chance to do either but it's been running all day in a subdivision going up and down hills. As long as it stays on flat ground, it works out great but the first incline and it lets you know. It's next on the list, now that I have the exterior done.
Old 05-31-2010, 09:39 PM   #7
DUNBAR
Not Yet Wild

I was told today that it was driven for about 3 hours in a huge subdivision and even though it got sluggish on inclines, it worked well.

I believe the fastest I had it going the last night was 25 mph and I would say a front end alignment is needed for fast driving.

I don't expect it to be like that...especially at outdoor events. As long as it stays reliable I'm good with it.
Old 06-01-2010, 02:24 PM   #8
GoTeeMan
EZ Like Sunday Morning

E-Z-GO

Can you do me a favor and measure the distance from the floor to bottom of the roof? I am going to make a roof and just need to know that distance as a reference point for the rest of the build.

Thanks
GoTeeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 02:54 PM   #9
hawkeyedm2003
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

One thing I can tell you is .....DON"T slam from fwd to rev like that. A 2 stroke actually runs the engine in reverse direction to go in rev. If you keep doing that, your going to break a rod.

I would still check compression in both fwd and rev. It should be 100 minimum.
It doesn't sound like yours is taching up.
Also, check drive belt. Is it worn? Is it slipping when your moving up hill on the driven pulley?
What is the the drive pulley doing when your moving up hill?

These will point you in the direction of your problem.
hawkeyedm2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 03:07 PM   #10
essness
Not your usual outlaw

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeyedm2003 View Post
One thing I can tell you is .....DON"T slam from fwd to rev like that. A 2 stroke actually runs the engine in reverse direction to go in rev. If you keep doing that, your going to break a rod.

I would still check compression in both fwd and rev. It should be 100 minimum.
It doesn't sound like yours is taching up.
Also, check drive belt. Is it worn? Is it slipping when your moving up hill on the driven pulley?
What is the the drive pulley doing when your moving up hill?

These will point you in the direction of your problem.
I'm saying it's time for a new top end. Real easy to do in the garage. Make sure you order a new needle bearing as well.
essness is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ez-go, ez-go gas golf cart, ezgo, gas golf cart, golf cart
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO