lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-30-2010, 01:58 PM   #1
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Default Differential service

I'm gonna drop the diff pan this week while I'm at the campground. Should I spray up in there with WD40 to rinse out any debris that MIGHT be present? Run the cart VERY slowly a few seconds while rinsing? I'm gonna seal it with the blue stuff from NAPA (I forget the name) and was wondering if there is a torque spec for the cover bolts?

1997 TXT Electric, I'm gonna put in 10 ounces of 30w Non-Detergent Motor oil, or full synthetic if I find some straight 30w. Shouldn't be hard to find in farmer country, them boyz know ALL about lube.

ps: I'm taking yellow paint with me....
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-31-2010, 08:35 AM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Differential service

I use the 10-40w synthetic oils in my Ezgos. I could not find the torque specks for the pan bolts in either the Textron shop manual for the cart or the Dana Diff. manual. So I just torque them reasonably tight (15-18 ft#) using an RTV sealant.
Trick I have found helpful is to put the rear axles on jack stands and lift the front end with the floor jack until the pan mounting surface is LEVEL. This will aid in installing the pan with the oil in it and the RTV on the edges without spilling
I do not wash them out. I like to let them sit overnight before removing the pan, this puts all the old oil back in the pan.... you should not have any debris in the gears etc...... good luck.
scottyb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 08:39 AM   #3
LostHusker
Just one day at a time

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by gornoman View Post

ps: I'm taking yellow paint with me....

I would never have guessed,
LostHusker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 08:38 AM   #4
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Thanx, scottyb. Looks like rain today, and the cart has been sitting since last nite's ride.
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 09:01 AM   #5
galloway
Gone Wild

Club Car

When I worked at a GMC dealer the guys would spray some brake cleaner up in there to rinse them out a bit.

Make sure you use that paint in a ventilated area
galloway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 09:03 AM   #6
Flintrock
Raised by coyotes

Yamaha

I don't see how a little brake cleaner could hurt, get a little more of the gunk out of there and degrease your seal surface.....
Flintrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 09:18 AM   #7
e-z-go1988
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flintrock View Post
I don't see how a little brake cleaner could hurt, get a little more of the gunk out of there and degrease your seal surface.....
When you change the oil in your engine (gas golf cart, personal transportation) you don't drop the pan and spray solvent up in there.
There shouldn't be anything up in there to dislodge! Spraying a solvent in there will possibly loosen any sludge that may then get stuck and not fall out till later.
IMO
e-z-go1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 09:33 AM   #8
Flintrock
Raised by coyotes

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-z-go1988 View Post
When you change the oil in your engine (gas golf cart, personal transportation) you don't drop the pan and spray solvent up in there.
There shouldn't be anything up in there to dislodge! Spraying a solvent in there will possibly loosen any sludge that may then get stuck and not fall out till later.
IMO
Nope, but when I have the engine apart I darn sure clean it! We are talking a differential here, he has it apart, he likes to clean things and he should clean it up while he has it apart.
Flintrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 10:19 AM   #9
LostHusker
Just one day at a time

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Nope, but when I have the engine apart I darn sure clean it! We are talking a differential here, he has it apart, he likes to clean things and he should clean it up while he has it apart.
He does, I don't think we were aware of that

What oil did you end up using Gorno?
LostHusker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 10:37 AM   #10
e-z-go1988
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
I would also thoroughly clean the diff it was in pieces! Sorry for the misunderstanding, thought he just had the cover off.
e-z-go1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO