lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-03-2010, 10:49 AM   #11
arcitech
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Differential service

Just a thought, do you have a spare gasket? If your old one is rubber, you should be fine, but if it rips when you remove the pan, the RTV will almost keep it from leaking. Any type of pan, oil, trans, timing cover should be fine with just a smear of weatherstrip adhesive on the pan side, and dry gasket on the other side. RTV should be used for surfaces that are uneven or in the corners. Over tightening the bolts is the biggest cause of leaks due to the warping around the bolt holes.
arcitech is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-04-2010, 08:53 AM   #12
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

OK, the diff service is done. There was no original gasket, just a layer of milky colored sealant. The oil was OEM 1997, and was slightly browned. No debris observed, all gear teeth looked perfect. There were many dents to pound out of the cover, got that fixed with a ballpean hammer and a wood stump. Removed all old sealant from both surfaces, scrubbed clean with metal brushes. Painted the cover, added 10 ounces of 30w motor oil, applied the RTV, and reinstalled without too much difficulty. I took pix along the way but I don't have a data cord here at the campground so I cannot upload yet. Thanx everyone for the advice. Another BGW success story!
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 09:18 AM   #13
madoc1
no clue

E-Z-GO

way to go. guess i should add that to my list todos. jim
madoc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 09:24 AM   #14
e-z-go1988
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by gornoman View Post
OK, the diff service is done. There was no original gasket, just a layer of milky colored sealant. The oil was OEM 1997, and was slightly browned. No debris observed, all gear teeth looked perfect. There were many dents to pound out of the cover, got that fixed with a ballpean hammer and a wood stump. Removed all old sealant from both surfaces, scrubbed clean with metal brushes. Painted the cover, added 10 ounces of 30w motor oil, applied the RTV, and reinstalled without too much difficulty. I took pix along the way but I don't have a data cord here at the campground so I cannot upload yet. Thanx everyone for the advice. Another BGW success story!
What other fun things do you do at camp?
e-z-go1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 11:51 AM   #15
SpoiledRotten
Conservatively Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by galloway View Post
When I worked at a GMC dealer the guys would spray some brake cleaner up in there to rinse them out a bit.

Make sure you use that paint in a ventilated area

Oh yes, this is what I use in my Jeep diffs. Brake fluid cleans out the junk! I would use it before WD-40, just for the cleaning agent.
SpoiledRotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 09:24 AM   #16
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-z-go1988 View Post
What other fun things do you do at camp?
Um.........er.........well, sometimes I drink a few adult beverages. But, only when I'm awake.
Old 08-08-2010, 01:53 PM   #17
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

OK, let's get started:

The cover came off easily using a wide putty knife for leverage

There were many dents to be pounded out, then I cleaned up the old surfaces with a wire brush

Wiped it down with alcohol, and setup the backwoods paint booth

A look inside in case you have never seen one

The old oil, in good shape, slightly darkened

Can't measure 10 onces in the woods? There's 32 ounces in this quart container, and I drew a line at 22 ounces, and poured it out until I hit the mark. 10 ounces in the pan along with the RTV sealant

Reinstalled

Tips:

When it's a hot day, and you have a fan blowing under the cart at the work zone, turn the fan OFF when dropping the pan down so the old oil doesn't blow all over your wood deck.

Jack both ends (front and rear) of the cart up the same height, so that when you try and reinstall the pan WITH THE OIL IN IT the pan stays level and doesn't spill some oil out of the front edge.

Use OxyClean to remove oil stains from your wood deck.
Old 08-09-2010, 08:56 AM   #18
galloway
Gone Wild

Club Car

hmmm. I am sure you called in the EPA to report the oil spill also. Do you blame the speed of the cleanup on big oil or the Obama adminastration?
galloway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 11:40 AM   #19
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

I blame the speed of the cleanup on the fact that my wife saw the stain and her head about exploded. Normally I lay a nice thick fabric tarp down before I bring the cart up on the deck (The Lab) for repairs or mods, but I didn't want to ruin the tarp, LOL! That OxyClean stuff is the bomb!
Old 08-09-2010, 11:59 AM   #20
galloway
Gone Wild

Club Car

hahaha.

It is also a crime scene investigators worst nightmare. "Removes blood stains in seconds." hahaha
galloway is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO