lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-08-2010, 08:57 PM   #1
robbydiesl
Not Yet Wild

Default 1993 marathon jakes lifted

hey, this is my 93 marathon that i just lifted using a jakes 4" kit. i also ordered heavy duty front springs for a 88 and earlier marathon that are 2" longer than stock. it rides great and turns and doesnt scrub at any angle. tires are 22-11-10 duros and wheels are 10x8. next i will be doing some cosmetic upgrades. last picture is at stock height when i first started.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0176.jpg (52.8 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0177.jpg (47.5 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0152.jpg (62.2 KB, 59 views)
robbydiesl is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-08-2010, 09:02 PM   #2
custom carts
THE CUSTOM KID

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1993 marathon jakes lifted

looks awsome
custom carts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 04:02 PM   #3
GoTeeMan
EZ Like Sunday Morning

E-Z-GO

how much were the springs?
GoTeeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 09:54 AM   #4
GoTeeMan
EZ Like Sunday Morning

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoTeeMan View Post
how much were the springs?
and what are they off of?
Old 10-12-2010, 11:30 AM   #5
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

From what I've read, the springs for early '88 and down are the same as for the late '88 and up Marathon carts, only they're about 2" longer - therefore, if you have a post-88 cart, putting the '88 and down front leafs on it will lengthen your wheelbase.

Just out of curiosity, with the lift and the longer springs do you have any clearance issues with your front end components? I ask because when I did the 5" lift on my '88, it rearranged the steering, etc to what I believe was the absolute far end of its' usefulness without having to start extending/modifying components - with the late '88 and up having a slightly shorter set of front springs, I would be concerned that forcing the steering components to handle a lift as well as an extension might be less than favorable for them, long-term.

That, of course, applies to the "spacer-block" type of lift, the Jakes (being an entire new front axle assembly) may be entirely different
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 01:15 PM   #6
AirJunky
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Nice. I bet that type of lift is a lot stronger than the blocks used in most Marathon lifts.

Anyone know how much different a Jakes front axle for the Marathon is from an ST350 (Workhorse) front axle?
AirJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 01:38 PM   #7
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

A buddy of mine bought one of the Jakes style (not sure if it was an actual "Jakes") for his 92 workhorse a year or so ago and ended up returning it and getting a block-style lift due to the significant weight gain of the Jakes style and the fact that it compromised his steering radius enough to where it drove him nuts in tight quarters - but the bottom line is in spite of the limitations (and him not being willing to accept them) it DID work.

Also, from what I experienced shopping for and doing my lift, the block kits vary GREATLY in quality of construction - you definitely are better off shopping for a kit that's made in the USA, don't fall for stamped components, etc, there's some real junk out there (and it's not even neccesarily cheaper). Ask before you buy, even something as simple as the hardware (grade 8 vs hardened bolts, etc) can make a huge difference
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 03:30 PM   #8
GoTeeMan
EZ Like Sunday Morning

E-Z-GO

If you could have moved the front end out 3 inches, would you have?
Old 10-14-2010, 06:35 PM   #9
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

The only real issue with the longer springs is a slight loss of turning to the right compared to left.This can be adjusted by changing the length of the drag-link(from steering-box to wheel).The steering-wheel will turn off center when you install them,just set the wheels straight, remove the steering-wheel, and recenter it on the splines.As far as moving it 3" ahead,i tried it(i work in a spring-shop so we built a new set).It looks a little odd,as it pushes the tires too far ahead of the body.
pachanga90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 06:21 AM   #10
GoTeeMan
EZ Like Sunday Morning

E-Z-GO

I have heard that the pre 88 springs are 2 inches longer, I measured my 1982 that I have for sale and they are the same length as the 1990, suggestions on what to order so I can get the 2" longer springs?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO