lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-04-2010, 04:49 PM   #11
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Default Re: looking for engine rebuild

I think that what Dewdiggler was refering to is this

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/ezgo-...iagram-id.html

Now if you scroll down the first thread you will see some pictures taken from a manual. Print these out as they have some good diagrams. There really is little that you can do as to getting more power from your 2PG engine, it is what it is. That said I swear by a shorter drive belt which gives you more low end torque and Brew City has got more power by performing what is known as the HEI mod to his ignition. My stand is that both of these mods are well worth doing but only if you have problems with the stock parts, that is to say if the belt is worn or if your ignition has failed. In addition I think that you will find that once you have a good compression, a great spark, a well tuned carburetor, new crank seals and an unblocked muffler you will be quite satisfied with the output from your little 2PG.

So do you really want to do this thing? OK here are Dave's first two tips.

I am not as smart as I think I am and I cannot remember where all those bolts go so I get a handfull of ziplock bags and a sharpie. Now I get, for example, the muffler bolts and get them all in the bag and label it muffler bolts. Now when I come to put it all back together I don't try to bolt the head on with the generator bolts. Well I accept that was hardly earth shattering but here is a real tip. One of the first jobs that you need to do is remove the starter/generator. When it comes to undoing the nuts that hold the cables on, get a thin wrench under the cable to steady the stud. Failure to do this will result in the stud turning and ripping the wires off inside the unit. Of course it goes without saying that you should mark the cables and draw yourself a map.
So if you are up for it why not get the generator out and whilst you having so much fun lets pull the muffler off. You can leave the exhaust pipe bolted to the engine for now.
Let us know how you get on.
Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-05-2010, 05:49 AM   #12
golfdad
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

thank again for all the help. I order the rebuild kit today so if will be a week so right now my compression is 125 what should if be when i am done? Thanks
golfdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 06:53 AM   #13
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Actually Golfdad 125 is right on the money so you may want to reconsider, at least the top end. Certainly you have issues at the bottom that need addressing but the top sounds fine. If it were me? Well I think if I was going to go to all the trouble of removing the engine and tearing it down to do the bottom end then I would replace the top as well. I would be mightly upset if the piston cracked or something similar next summer. Of course it is your call and more importantly your money
Dave
Old 11-05-2010, 10:38 AM   #14
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Another thing to consider would be removing the oil injection system and running 128:1 premix (after the rebuild you'll want to run 40:1 for the first tank to "break in" the engine though) - EZGO 2-stroke oilers are notoriously prone to weak performance or outright failure (especially considering the age of the cart) ... Just a thought, considering the state of your bottom end definitely implies that you have a lubrication issue
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 04:13 PM   #15
golfdad
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

the oil injection is all ready out of the cart when i got the cart and I went 50:1 on gas is that good or bad? As the rebuild I think I will do it for one I think it would be fun just as long as the wife does not find out how munch it cost until the end and two then I know every thing is new.
Old 11-05-2010, 06:28 PM   #16
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Yeah, the "Wife Factor" is a common denominator for many of us, LOL ....

50:1 will goober up your muffler pretty quickly as the extra uncombusted oil collects there, the factory calls for 128:1 which works out well to 1oz per gallon (except, as I mentioned above, for the first tank through a new motor, that should be closer to the 40:1-50:1 you're running now) - on the upside, if your muffler plugs up it's a blast to "BBQ" it (basically build an uber-hot fire and throw your muffler in it, wait 15 minutes and watch the fireworks as the oil burns off in jets from both ends of the muffler).

The oil ratio is factory spec right from EZGO, BTW - the "BBQ" was born of neccessity!
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 06:30 PM   #17
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Golfdad,
50:1 is a little rich, actually it's a lot rich. The EZGO manual states 128:1 which is actually 1 ounce of oil to 1 gallon of gasoline so that's pretty easy. The only exception is the first tank after the rebuild should be 40:1. If you have been running at 50:1 for a time then there is a good chance that your muffler will be choked up but don't worry that's an easy fix that we can address when the time comes.
Let us know when you are ready to start and we can answer any questions
All the best
Dave
Old 11-05-2010, 06:44 PM   #18
golfdad
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

thanks agin guys for all the help
Old 11-05-2010, 10:32 PM   #19
bananaman
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

I may be wrong here but my engine sounded like It was coming apart(rattling), And what it really was the clutch on the engine was just plain wore out and making all the noise.You may want to check that also.
bananaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 01:49 AM   #20
golfdad
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Hey guys how do you get the cluch off? and does the bolck come apart to take out the cranck?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO