lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-03-2011, 01:57 PM   #1
CCT
Not Yet Wild

Angry 89 will only run with choke

I have never posted here before but have read all the posts concerning having to use the choke to run.

I have replaced fuel lines - pump works as it should- replaced carb - checked reed valve it is ok air filter is clean - and now I am running out of ideas except bbq'ing the muffler.

The cart runs great choked almost need seat belts but won't run worth a *** when you push the choke in.

Any ideas would be mostly appreciated, I have wanted a gasser for a long time and this is my chance I don't want to have to go back to driving the electric cart
CCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-03-2011, 04:38 PM   #2
Brother Texan
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 89 will only run with choke

Drop bowl on carb and remove main jet. Check to make sure it is clear, you should be able to see daylight throught the tiny hole. May need to strip a piece of electrical wire back and shove 1 or 2 strands through hole to clean it out. Your jet controls the amount of fuel the carb pulls in. So if you are having to choke it, that means too much air not enough fuel.
Brother Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 08:20 PM   #3
CCCT
Not Yet Wild

Carb is new. I just don't know what to try next.
CCCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 08:47 PM   #4
Brother Texan
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Sorry, did not see that. Could be leaking air past carb base. With engine running, spray brake cleaner around base of carb and intake manifold. With bake cleaner the engine will die if there is a leak, carb cleaner will make it idle up. Is the carb jetted or does it have needle adjustments?
Brother Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 08:13 AM   #5
Phillip
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I had an 89 do the same thing.
After doing all that you have done, I came to find that the crankshaft seal was torn. I replaced it and fixed the problem.
There was a test that I was told about on here, that I did, but for the life of me, I can't remember it.
Maybe someone else on here can explain how to test the crankshaft seal.
Good luck!
Phillip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 08:20 AM   #6
Auggie2612
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Fairly new to the golf cart end of things but, I've always sprayed carb cleaner at the crank seal on my snowmobiles while its running.. Any change in rpm would tell you the seal is bad or leaking..
Auggie2612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO