lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-05-2011, 06:52 PM   #1
Scottn29
Not Yet Wild

Default EC25ds weak spark (was told this by seller)

First off, let me say HI since I am new to the forum. I have been reading and searching the forum for acouple days now, and it looks like there are some really knowledgeable people on here. I am not coming up with the info I was searching for :(

I just picked up a cart yesterday and was told it was a 89, which I saw engine parts on the net for before I went and picked it up. But looking at the engine serial number is is a EC25ds, which would put it before the 1989-1993 engines, correct? Serial number on the cart says "79E11 T7I550" but i have not come up with any info anywhere for a serial number like that.

I am not sure what the best approach would be to fixing this. The seller said it has weak spark. Thats all he said. So I ordered up the HEI module, that I read about on this forum. And I think I may need to replace the coil (which has a big dent in it), spark plug, and spark plug wire. Is there anything else I should change with it? Are the points replaceable, and would they the affect the spark being weak?

The engine is not hooked up in the cart. Its just sitting in there with most of the wires still attached. My plan is to install the HEI module, put a new spark plug in, find a coil (which I am having a hard time finding searching the net) Then try to start it with some fresh gas in it.

Does anybody have any other suggestions for me, or do you think that I need to do what I listed above first anyways?

I searched the net for engine replacement/swaps. But I didnt come up with much other than people stating you will loose reverse with soemthing like a Honda engine. I am just kinda bummed now as I dont see many parts for this older engine as I did for the 89-93 model I was told it was.' I would think that if I go that route, I could put and horizontal shaft engine in there as long as the clutch would go on and line up with the axles clutch?
Scottn29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-05-2011, 06:53 PM   #2
Scottn29
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: EC25ds weak spark (was told this by seller)

Sorry if my first post might be alittle confusing or all over the place. My brain is fried from searching for the past couple days :)
Old 06-05-2011, 09:10 PM   #3
racin161
Gone Wild

As per the coil I used a 76 dodge coil and bracket to mount it. This is a non resistor coil as you don't need to reduce voltage with hei. Works great any standard automotive coil will work as long as it is a non resistor coil. You have no points that the purpose of the hei. just follow the instructions and its straight forward and simple. Hope this helps.
racin161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 07:24 AM   #4
Phillip
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

racin161, is right. You really don't need to search the web for a coil. You can just go to your local auto parts, and for about $12.00, you can get a new 12volt coil. Dodge, chevy, it really doesn't matter. Just buy one for about a 76 model year and follow the instructions listed on here, for the HEI conversion.
As for the motor and year. It would be best to take a couple of pictures and post them on here. Most of the tech. guys on here, can tell you pretty much what it is, by looking at it.
Good Luck!
Phillip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 08:22 AM   #5
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

there should be another plate next to ser# plate thats the model and will have year in it.......remember its a gas/oil mix so don,t put in just gas.......if its an older cart its also gonna have an ignitor and a pulsar coil both of which will effect spark so don,t be alarmed if just changing coil dosn,t help....and yes some pics would help............................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 09:58 AM   #6
Scottn29
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the replies!!

I will try to take some pics this evening. I am sure it will help alot.

On the ignitor and pulsar coil. Where is the ignitor located? And this pulsar coil is inside the engine? Or I think thats what I read. I dont get why there is a coil inside the engine and then the ignition coil on the outside? Can someone explain this to me? I have worked on carbs and stuff before on my mopeds and dirt bikes when I was young, but it has been quite some time since I have done any of this. And I was searching for pulsar coil for some reason and not just a ignition coil. I will replace the ignition coil as said with one from Autozone.
Old 06-07-2011, 07:57 AM   #7
Phillip
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

There are no points, so the pulser coil is used to initiate the spark sequence, as a set of points might do on a regular engine.
The pulser coil is located adjacent to the flywheel, and picks up its signal from the magnetic area located on the flywheel.
As for the igniter, it is normally located somewhere toward the back of the engine on the firewall.
This is a basic picture of an igniter

And a picture of a pulser coil.
Phillip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 02:08 PM   #8
Scottn29
Not Yet Wild

I started this thread alittle prematurely, sorry for that. I have started another thread and Looks like my engine has been identified as a 1p, late 70's model.

Here is the other thread

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-e...correct-2.html

Sorry to have started this prematurely. I know it probably bother some as they have seen this same type of thread numerous times.

But if you feel like it, come on it the other thread and let me know what you think.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO