lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-08-2011, 10:41 AM   #1
firecart1
Getting Wild

Default 89 ezgo dies when hot

1989 ezgo 2 cycle...it dies when it gets hot. It seems like it would be a vapor lock, but I have run it without the gas cap on and it does the same thing. I assume then next order to go to is the ignition sources. I ohmed the pulsar coil cold (in a 90 degree garage!!) and it ohmmed 153.3ohms. (my manual says cold should be 75 ohms, but it was really hot out!!) Then took it out and ran it till it died (about 4-5 minutes) and it ohmmed 166ohms. From what I can tell the hot ohms should be between 125-200ohms. Next I ohmmed the Ignition coil orange to green wires was 4.4 ohms (manual says it should be 3.6-3.......

Any and all help is welcomed!!
firecart1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-08-2011, 12:52 PM   #2
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 89 ezgo dies when hot

those numbers are both fine - the next tests would be to loosen the muffler bolts (the ones that hold the muffler to the exhaust pipe) , make sure there's a 1/2" or more gap between the muffler and pipe and run her for awhile to heat up and see if that fixes it - if it does, you have a buildup of unburned oil in your muffler and it needs cooking (search "muffler bbq" here for the procedure) - this is common with 2-strokes. Next, if that doesn't help, you could be possibly starting to lose a crank seal (although generally when they go, they go) - jack up the cart so it doesn't run away and run it at a low speed while having a buddy spray either carb cleaner or WD40 at the front and rear of the engine (in the cooling fan in front and where the crank exits in back) - if your RPM's go up at all, you're starting to lose a seal, which must be replaced.

Either of these aside, then you will have to look at replacing your igniter with an HEI module (search "HEI Conversion") as there is no way to test the ignitors - on the upside it's an easy, low $ swap and will give you a much better spark either way.
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO