lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-29-2011, 08:50 PM   #1
rabbitreborn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default overnight Question for the true tekkies

I have a friend that wants to upgrade his controller..... ok, truth is he HAS to upgrade due to an incident involving a lake and a couple kids that don't understand the concept of property rights.....

So..... I am trying to assist him as best as I can, however, I find myself in a bind. His cart is running on 20" offroad tires with a 4" lift, he has an advanced DC motor (E-Z-GO part number 73124G03 3.5 HP Hi-Speed), with a MZJ 200/600 solenoid, 4 gauge weld cables, and a HD F&R installed. Believe it or not, this cart WAS running on the stock 275 amp controller before the meltdown.....

OK, so here is the problem..... Due to the Earthquake in Japan, Alltrax has a shortage of Programmable 400 Amp comtrollers... Add to that the fact he has a limited budget and the best solution I can come to is that I have to go to my private stock and see what I can help him out with.... Good news/ bad news. I have a controller that we can install, but the only thing I currently have is a 700 Amp GE....

So the bottom line question..... Does anyone know if the 73124G03 motor will be capable of handling the 700 Amp? From everything I know, the motor uses a set amount of Amperage and typically is limited by the controller's maximum output, but I have never considered installing a controller that is rated excessivly higher than what is normally used in a particular application. I know E-Z-GO uses a 350 Amp Curtis in the Freedom model carts with this motor, but I am concerned that taking the Amperage "cap" off this motor might be a VERY bad thing.......
rabbitreborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-29-2011, 09:01 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: overnight Question for the true tekkies

The motor will draw amperage like drunken bum at an open bar.
Basically a motor will draw every bit of amperage available to it.
How long the motor lasts will depend upon a lot of variables you know about.
I wouldn't do it. I reserve the 700s for the big boys.

I can get you a 400AXE no problem.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 09:08 PM   #3
rabbitreborn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Scotty Price and availability are the problem.... He needs it by Friday and he has less to spend than what a 400 Axe costs us wholesale...... I wish I had a 500 AMP GE still as it would resolve this issue really nicely.

I may install the controller for him to use and tell him he is gonna have to focus on getting the money to send that motor off to PQ for a revamp REALLY soon......
Old 06-29-2011, 09:25 PM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbitreborn View Post
Scotty Price and availability are the problem.... He needs it by Friday and he has less to spend than what a 400 Axe costs us wholesale...... I wish I had a 500 AMP GE still as it would resolve this issue really nicely.

I may install the controller for him to use and tell him he is gonna have to focus on getting the money to send that motor off to PQ for a revamp REALLY soon......
You have few options then ~ if he likes the power and waits to send the motor off (which I think will not be enough motor for the 700) then he may not have anything left to rebuild?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 09:41 PM   #5
rabbitreborn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

True, but if it lasts him another 2 months, then our "season" will be starting back up and he will have more money for running upgrades...... I might have a look and see if I have a motor that will work for him.......
Old 06-30-2011, 09:28 AM   #6
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

what about an npx 400? i can get you one really cheap but getting it there by tomorrow might cost more than the controller............................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 10:54 AM   #7
rabbitreborn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

according to Alltrax, the NPX won't be set correctly because of the lift and HS motor. Already thought about that idea.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO