lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-15-2012, 01:30 PM   #1
Dreamer_onetwo
Not Yet Wild

Default 91 ezgo Txt won't pull incline all of a sudden

History. We have used the golf cart for years with no major issues. I am not a mechanic but a wanna and fairly handy. I found post on here with 5 things to try for similar problem.

I read about the Muffler BBQ which I took it off and did it.
I put in a "fire" for about 5 hours. but maybe only 1-2 of really hot coals. I did start out with cookout coals and then when to wood. I think that should have done it, but I read where someone on here did it like 6 hours with full coals.

When done I banged on it some and then used an air hose on it. I got several good puffs, but not anywhere near what I was expecting.

My first question is did I do it long enough and did I do the right way of getting anything out. ? ie. how much should have come out. ?
Dreamer_onetwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-15-2012, 08:41 PM   #2
Dreamer_onetwo
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 91 ezgo Txt won't pull incline all of a sudden

by the way. It did not work. Still does not pull up an incline.
I have cleaned out the carb, the gas lines and filter, and change spark plugs.

Any help on the next step?
Old 08-17-2012, 11:40 AM   #3
Dreamer_onetwo
Not Yet Wild

not sure if I am not providing enough detail. ? would appreciate a little help.

Basically looking for next steps and / or some thoughts on what I've already done.

- Did muffler BBQ? per above question about length of time.
- Then cleaned carb.
- Spark plugs, new gas filter.
- Then I took apart the fuel pump. Thought I had messed that up because I took the membranes apart too. At first it would start and run for a 20 secs or so then quit. I took in line off the carb and pressed pedal, and gas flowed ok ( to my non knowledge). When I put it back and basically tried it some it started to run fine. Ran it on block with wheels spinning. did ok. Then put it back on ground to try and it was worse than when I started before but kept getting better until it was back to where I started with it not pulling an incline ( maybe a little worse).

- Last week it was running great. I went on vacation and came back an a parent had used it. When I got back they told me it wasn't working right. I did check the oil and it was almost empty. I filled it up and it was still not pulling.

My next step is to test the compression. I bought a test yesterday and will figure out how to do that, will report back on that.

Any thoughts?
Old 08-17-2012, 03:29 PM   #4
rib33024

Did it have flames coming out the pipes like in the pic??, yes a compression test will tell a lot, it might have bad crank seals,

rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 04:34 PM   #5
camaroluvz28
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Just a thought but I would do a valve adjustment on this this too just to try something that doesn't cost anything...
camaroluvz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 04:43 PM   #6
Dreamer_onetwo
Not Yet Wild

I don't think it was shooting dragon flames. Do you think I need to do it again based on what I said before? Ie. Surrounded it will cookout charcoal 13 lb bag. then built a big fire around that. I know it got hot for at least an hour probably two before it died down?

And I see if I can find something on how to do a valve adjustment too.

Thanks for helping..
Old 08-17-2012, 06:12 PM   #7
Dreamer_onetwo
Not Yet Wild

WOW........... This is probably get some points for dumb beginner mechanic lesson. I was getting ready to check compression.
And in fact realized that I had forgot to change the spark plugs. Bought and thought I had already done. But I put them in and off I went.
That was only thing I did different from last time I tried. And after doing all that other stuff, wonder I didn't mess something else up. I guess it was the plugs.. unless someone thinks it might have had good dream over the night.
Old 08-17-2012, 07:30 PM   #8
Dreamer_onetwo
Not Yet Wild

I was sorta wishing I had to tear it down since I have never done that before.

1..... Ok.. here is question. How do you do the compression test? I did a search and my puter skills are not great. But I found too many answers and not how too?
IS there a place here or another link on how to do the test. Read the directions on the tester and I am not sure they apply...

2. While I have it sorta in the shop is there anything else I should do it?
Old 08-20-2012, 06:08 AM   #9
Doc's BoneCracker
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Pull your plug wires and remove one plug screw the tester into it and press the gas pedal while watching to see the reading on tester. Then replace that plug and do it again on the other plug. Compare the readings. you want around 120 psi in both cylenders
Doc's BoneCracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 08:52 PM   #10
Dreamer_onetwo
Not Yet Wild

Big thanks.. I will do it. so I will have a bench mark.

I have another question now. During all this testing I have the air filter box off and the choke plate off the carb. so the little flipper on the carb ( not sure official term) is open to every thing. we had an issue couple years ago of it spitting oil out... Found out we had put to much oil in so. I think the same thing was happening ( oil spitting out) so I changed the oil to make sure.

Now it is spitting gas out. when trying to start and/or choking. ? it this normal?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO