lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-22-2012, 05:44 PM   #1
bignate524
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Default 85 marathon running well, but very loud

So I did the top end rebuild this past weekend and the cart is running well now, but it is very loud....I know that these older gassers aren't the quietest things, but my cart sound like a **** Harley lol.
I'm thinking the muffler might be clogged so this weekend the muffler is probably going to get BBQ'd, is it common for these carts to be very loud when the muffler has a lot of residue in there?
Thanx!
bignate524 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-23-2012, 10:46 PM   #2
bignate524
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 85 marathon running well, but very loud

anyone??
Old 08-24-2012, 06:09 AM   #3
WGW Foods
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Mine is loud. I think it is just the way they are. The muffler BBQ wont hurt. Good luck. Loud pipes save lifes.
WGW Foods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 10:35 PM   #4
bignate524
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

whenever I go to start driving my cart, it will slowly turn the drive belt and starter generator belt.
i continue to hold the pedal down for 20-30 seconds and it starts to turn a little more, but it won't continuously turn, then eventually it will power the motor on and start running. from there on out the cart starts right up whenever i push the pedal. Idk if this is a battery problem or what, but has anybody had this issue before....it's strange because it seems like the battery initially doesnt have the juice to kick her on right away, but then once it gets running it starts up fine from there on out....?
Old 08-28-2012, 10:52 PM   #5
bignate524
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

anyone got a clue about what could be my issue?
Old 08-29-2012, 09:00 AM   #6
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

The first issue with the noise is probably the header / cylinder gasket. Two strokes are brutally hard on that gasket as it is subjected to naked flame. If you reused both the old gaskets on the exhaust pipe I suggest that you get some new ones. The 2PG engine should not be that noisy, mine has an almost pleasing burble as it runs.

The second issue is probably exasperated by you having a nice new and very tight engine. What is happening is that when you cut the engine it continues to rotate until the inertia cannot overcome the next compression stroke. This means that when you initially start your battery and starter are faced with pushing against the compression. If either are slightly weak it will be a struggle. As an experiment next time you start the cart, do so in the opposite direction that you stopped it. This way the engine will move away from compression and have almost a revolution to build up momentum to overcome the first big squeeze.
So if you try this and it makes matters better then we can look to see what else is happening. It may be an ailing battery or a suspect ground (and by the way there must be a strap between the ground point on the chassis and the engine block). If you have a voltmeter we can fix this.

Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 02:54 PM   #7
bignate524
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks for responding Dave, I used new gaskets on the exhaust so I'm not totally sure why it's so loud...goona try bbq'in the muffler this weekend probably down at the campground....but as for the power issue, now it won't crank on at all even after holding the pedal down for a bit. I hooked up some jumpers to my car battery and she fires right up so i'm wondering if the battery is just completely drained and it will only kick on when it's got enough juice running through it (from the car)....maybe it's time for a new battery, not to mention my battery charger is acting up :/
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO