lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-07-2013, 04:07 PM   #21
SandbaggerYDRA
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Thumbs up Re: Clutch question on an '07 "Drive"

I pulled the old secondary off today, and took some pics of it. It's no wonder my engine was screaming just to make 14 MPH. The belt was worn down to 7/8th of an inch and would not even come close to making the top of either clutch. The secondary was dished and had a few cracks and a hole in it. Can't wait for my new parts to come in....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3180.jpg (203.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 3181.jpg (198.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 3179.jpg (113.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 3183.jpg (128.3 KB, 0 views)
SandbaggerYDRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-07-2013, 08:07 PM   #22
dbmachine
Gone Wild

Default Re: Clutch question on an '07 "Drive"

Sandbagger are you gonna be doing any changes to your primary clutch? Looks like it will be a pita to remove with the frame rail in the way. My secondary sheeves surfaces are in better condition than the primary sheeves.
dbmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 03:57 PM   #23
SandbaggerYDRA
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbmachine View Post
Sandbagger are you gonna be doing any changes to your primary clutch? Looks like it will be a pita to remove with the frame rail in the way. My secondary sheeves surfaces are in better condition than the primary sheeves.

Believe it or not, my primary looks to be in much better shape than the secondary. That being said, I'm sure that there is going to be some bushing wear. I'm going to install the new secondary and the new drive belt and see how the primary shifts. If it works reasonably well, I'll leave it alone for now. If not, it'll be time for a rebuild.
Old 04-08-2013, 07:32 PM   #24
dbmachine
Gone Wild

Cool thanks and keep me updated on your results
Old 04-10-2013, 06:49 PM   #25
SandbaggerYDRA
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Thumbs up Re: Clutch question on an '07 "Drive"

Well, today my parts arrived from Plowman's and true to my nature I couldn't wait until the weekend to work on the buggy, so I installed the clutch and belt tonight. All I can say is WOW! The belt sits at the top of the secondary and will run up to the top of the primary (Which means it's still good whew!). The performance difference is like night and day. The cart now has what I can only describe as a "creeper" gear. it makes for slow and smooth reversing and pulling out. But as the engine revs up it quickly shifts up to the cruise mode. I had anticipated that I would not gain any speed and that the engine RPM would come way down as the governor kicked in and I was right on the money on those points. I was still at a 13 - 14 MPH speed on the Radar gun, but the engine was running at nearly half the speed. So I cranked down on the governor nut, and the top speed jumped to 16 MPH. I still have to install the new jets and modify my air box. But for now I'm a happy camper! More work will follow........
Old 04-10-2013, 06:56 PM   #26
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Great news about the clutch/belt upgrade If you want to go faster, might try www.cartpartsplus.com govenor speed spring, it makes your car fast without bypassing the govenor system. Fairly easy to install. we've had cars over 25 mph with it installed.
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 07:52 PM   #27
ken irwin
Not Yet Wild

Does anyone know where I can find a rebuild kit for a salsbury clutch that is off a 91 hyundai gas cart? I really just need one green spring that holds the dogs down.
( I probably am not using the right description of parts) This is the last part i need to finish my rebuild.. Hopefully someone could direct me the right way...Thanks
ken irwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 08:59 PM   #28
SandbaggerYDRA
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken irwin View Post
Does anyone know where I can find a rebuild kit for a salsbury clutch that is off a 91 hyundai gas cart? I really just need one green spring that holds the dogs down.
( I probably am not using the right description of parts) This is the last part i need to finish my rebuild.. Hopefully someone could direct me the right way...Thanks
This forum is divided into groups based on make of cart. This is the gas Yamaha group. Hyundai carts do not seem to be popular enough to have their own dedicated group here, but they are represented in the misc. carts group. You might find someone there who can give you the help you need.
Old 04-10-2013, 09:02 PM   #29
SandbaggerYDRA
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallblock450sl View Post
Great news about the clutch/belt upgrade If you want to go faster, might try www.cartpartsplus.com govenor speed spring, it makes your car fast without bypassing the govenor system. Fairly easy to install. we've had cars over 25 mph with it installed.
That might be something I'll look into in the future. I think for my next trick, I'm going to take a stab at fabricating a bracket to mount a brake light switch. Not nearly as much fun as performance mods, but a challenge just the same.....
Old 04-10-2013, 11:43 PM   #30
dbmachine
Gone Wild

Sandbagger so you got the secondary clutch and spring, belt, air filter and jet kit from plowmans.. That sound correct? I wonder how much more performance is achieved if you go all out and get the same package you got but also get the primary clutch from plowman as well. I'm just looking for smoother acceleration and better low end power. It's fast enough now with the 10mm nut tightened in a bit.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha